My First Attempt at Anything.... Mediocre Tree :/

mangoat

Full time elf
so 750 is overkill..... ??? or do i just do it at that to be safe?
was thinking if i did 750, id need at least 3 or 4 bags of concrete.

mborg10

Michael Borg
750 will mean that it definitely would be ok. The more concrete you add the more weight is counteracting the rotational force of the pole. so 4 bags would be about 80kg. If you feel better with 750 do it, but 500 will suffice

mborg10

Michael Borg
Just remember rapid set concrete is easy to use but is not as strong as normal concrete. Normal concrete is a bit harder to mix but is a lot stronger.

Pircy

Full time elf
I have done a fair bit of fence building and I last year used rapid set concrete to set the posts of the 150m of fence around my house. I am on the coast a get some pretty high winds. I have never had a problem with the rapid set failing or posts moving. Your Mediocre Tree should not move. And my posts are set 600mm deep.

mangoat

Full time elf
ok
so this is my tree so far
need to cable tie on the 1025 lights to the wire structure now the wire

was going to mount the control box on the post in the middle, with the 2x power supplies and p12s.

thoughts? or should i mount the box back on the house behind the fence? i was just thinking it would be neater and safer if i mounted it closer to the tree.

IMAG0397_zps9xfmoqtj.jpg

logandc99

Dedicated elf
Why do you say Mediocre in the subject line? It looks great. Would be neater mounting close to the tree and no concerns about data over distance. But of course having it behind the fence means it's less likely to be stolen. Any concerns where you are about theft?

mangoat

Full time elf
ive never had anything stolen from my front yard ever since i moved in to this house in dec 2007.

pot plants, statues, mail, nothing like that has been stolen. some old neighbours kids kept stuffing with my power points 2 years running at xmas cause he liked seeing the lights, even at 1pm. little turd of a kid.

anyway, i could always hook the ubolts up to the power supplies inside the box and insulate the pole, so when they go to undo the bolts they get electromacuted......... lol.

mangoat

Full time elf
its a plastic enclosure, but i can padlock it closed too. everything is only as secure as the honest theifs.
dont know
would be HoHoHoed off to have something stolen in my first year of computer controlled stuff.

logandc99

Dedicated elf
I have mine located at the base of my 2D tree but all the Christmas lights are behind a brick fence with a closed gate when the show isn't running so not so exposed here. If your neighbourhood is fairly good then maybe go for the cleanest look.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
I must say that I have never worried about controllers in the front yard being stolen. All you need is a security light and something that looks like a security camera with some signage and you will find that people will think twice before doing something stupid.

AussieDoug

Full time elf
Looking great, height wise I would proably make it a little lower & put a star, angel or even a goat on top of it. :D