My first hardware layout

Madko

Full time elf
Hey all,

Just thought ill show you my hardware setup I installed in the garage yesterday due to my recent delivery. I installed a double GPO outlet to power my network switch, a 350watt SMPS, and a ECG-P12R. I am going to run 2811 strips on all the columns on my house. Initially I was going to do arches but I thought this might be ok also.

As I haven't seen anyone else's hardware setup, is this how others do there physical layout? I know some might put them in a box but mine is inside the garage door so out of the weather. I have siliconed up the 240v supply terminals so its all safe.

Cheers

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    322.1 KB · Views: 204

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
It wouldnt meet any electrical codes, but seems good enough for your needs. Part of the reason people put these in boxes is for the mechanical protection as well which you dont have. One thing to be cautious about is rain on windy days, make sure your garage door is down.

kane

Dedicated elf
My only comment is that you haven't allowed room for expansion - what happens when you get a case of the "Tim the Tool Man" and say "I need more power!!"

Here's my dodgy power supply board from 2011 - for 2012 I added another couple power supplies, and I've also now got an enclosed box on the back, which houses one of DavidAVD's 240v relay boards, which allows me to turn these power supplies on and off via DMX.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 169

Madko

Full time elf
This is why these forums work well by getting positive/negative feedback. I agree that I haven't given myself enough room to expand. I also agree with the weather situation. I haven't seen the water reach around to the point where this area is but now that's its here, it will probably happen. In saying this I might have to revise what I have done.

Maybe move away from the garage doors for weather reason. Put on a bigger piece of board so I have room to grow ie, add more power supplies and controllers. Thoughts, appreciated!

A couple of questions, how do you guys supply 240v to your power supplies? Run extension leads from socket outlets? Do you have your power supplies and controllers close to the objects you are powering and controlling? Is your equipment located in one local area or are they scattered throughout the household in mechanical protection boxes like something from Masters?

I'm just trying to get an idea of what works for others. Cheers

kane

Dedicated elf
Madko said:
A couple of questions, how do you guys supply 240v to your power supplies? Run extension leads from socket outlets? Do you have your power supplies and controllers close to the objects you are powering and controlling? Is your equipment located in one local area or are they scattered throughout the household in mechanical protection boxes like something from Masters?
Everyone seems to have different ways of doing things, so there probably won't be a general consensus, but you can find out what various people do to get a feel!

In my situation, I have that main power board, which now has 8 power supplies (27v,24v,12v,7.5v and 5v), as well as my DR4, plus a small 8-port 10/100 switch. Given this is in my garage (well away from any weather), they are not in any waterproof enclosures. Given the combined load from all of these power supplies is something like 7A (@240v), I have a single extension lead going from a GPO to the back of the board.. The 240v DMX-controlled relay board is in an enclosure fixed to the back - I've only put it into an enclosure because it has 240v running to it at all times, so just a bit of extra protection for prying kiddy fingers.

This main power board supplies power to approx 70% of my display - I run cables from this central point out to the various elements - the cables simply run under the garage door.

I also have some additional power supplies for the items on my balcony (tint tubes matrix and stars).. Given that this is more exposed, I have three 350w waterproof power supplies - these are more expensive than the normal ones, but you don't have to worry about putting them into enclosures... I also have an additional DavidAVD 240v DMX relay board (mounted in a Masters waterproof enclosure), so that these three power supplies can be turned on and off via DMX.

Hope that makes sense!

G

GoofyGuy

clean look on the p12. I would have at least built a door of some sort but if it work for you then so be it.

Madko

Full time elf
Yes it make sense! Cheers and thanks for taking the time to explain it.

Yeah I'm thinking already its best to move my layout already to a side wall of garage. Mount on a bigger bit of board and make a central location were most runs shouldn't be any longer then 7-8 meters. So far only running 12 v supplies

kane

Dedicated elf
Madko said:
Yes it make sense! Cheers and thanks for taking the time to explain it.

Yeah I'm thinking already its best to move my layout already to a side wall of garage. Mount on a bigger bit of board and make a central location were most runs shouldn't be any longer then 7-8 meters. So far only running 12 v supplies
Yeah, it's handy to try and stick with the one voltage if you can help it.. Even though all my pixels are 12v, I have the 27V for my dumb (dc controlled) strings, 24V for a couple 30W ray wu floods, 7.5V for some rgb strings, and 5V for the acl strobes.

Madko

Full time elf
Trying to stick to all 12 V supply's is my plan. How that goes is a different story.

BradsXmasLights

WiFi Interactive
Here's my mission control layout from last year...
[attachimg=1]

This year so far I've now hardwired some of the multi-core cables to fixed termination box/panels and also added slotted ducted for a more neater look. I also have a patch panel in the rack under the desk which with 8 x CAT5 runs to the roof space / front of the house.

I've also had my electrician wire an isolator switch to the power sockets that run my lights on both sides of the garage, along with the outside outlet.

One thing is for sure, all this stuff takes up a lot of space! Another good reason for boxing everything up is you can just leave it setup all year round then too :)

ShellNZ

Senior elf
Yee gods Driver, I think I'd throw up if I saw that at the start of Xmas light season :)

Madko, the only thing I would be worried about with not having it in an enclosure is the dust, but we are summer here of course at Xmas time, and my hubbys garage is dusty/grassy. Maybe also bugs getting in ventilations of power supply? Other than that, very clean and tidy!!!

battle79

Full time elf
I like your setup driver, I can see you rushed getting plugged in, but you clearly thought about adding slotted finger duct given the way you ran them in the photo. Must look real clean now. Think I might have to invest in some of that board for hanging stuff too.

Cheers,
Rowan

Habbosrus

Back again
Kane said:
Madko said:
Everyone seems to have different ways of doing things, so there probably won't be a general consensus, but you can find out what various people do to get a feel!

In my situation, I have that main power board, which now has 8 power supplies (27v,24v,12v,7.5v and 5v), as well as my DR4, plus a small 8-port 10/100 switch. Given this is in my garage (well away from any weather), they are not in any waterproof enclosures. Given the combined load from all of these power supplies is something like 7A (@240v), I have a single extension lead going from a GPO to the back of the board.. The 240v DMX-controlled relay board is in an enclosure fixed to the back - I've only put it into an enclosure because it has 240v running to it at all times, so just a bit of extra protection for prying kiddy fingers.

This main power board supplies power to approx 70% of my display - I run cables from this central point out to the various elements - the cables simply run under the garage door.

I also have some additional power supplies for the items on my balcony (tint tubes matrix and stars).. Given that this is more exposed, I have three 350w waterproof power supplies - these are more expensive than the normal ones, but you don't have to worry about putting them into enclosures... I also have an additional DavidAVD 240v DMX relay board (mounted in a Masters waterproof enclosure), so that these three power supplies can be turned on and off via DMX.

Hope that makes sense!
Any chance of photo of the back of your board? Trying to get a sense of how it is all put together. Do you run power to a breakout board, then onto individual power supplies? I am still hopeful of putting together a small show. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

battle79

Full time elf
Quick question driver,

Where did you get the back board from? And the brackets to hang everything?

I can find pegboard, but not that stuff. Seen it in plenty of offices and stores but nowhere seems to sell it.

Cheers,
Rowan