My new (permanent) light feature

Christmas on Clarafield

Full time elf
Some time ago, I had a whinge about having a street light right in the front centre of our property. There is a post somewhere on here about it and a number of suggestions on how to deal with it.
When we bought our property (before CLAP) the security and convenience of having the light our front was ideal.
Mind you, the replacement is bright enough to play test cricket in our front yard at night with no moon. There was a time when I would have been extremely angry about it but now I'm like, oh well, can't do anything about it so no point stressing over it.
But I'll let everyone else tell me how bright they think it is.

Attachments

• IMG_1455.jpg
    IMG_1455.jpg
    294.6 KB · Views: 88

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
That gum tree will wear out from growing 24 hours per day.

I also like the high voltage Christmas lights (or is that high voltage rock and roll).

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Or you could borrow Supermans ladder from his palm tree and put up your own shield.

mborg10

Michael Borg
A friend of mine had a similar street lamp outside his house on a pedestrian crossing. He complained about the brightness and they actually came out and changed it for a duller light.

MarcD

Full time elf
That looks very similar to the one outside our place. It mysteriously gets switched off around December 1 each year and comes back on on January 1. You just have to find the right driver bit, open the panel and inside there's just a normal switch like you'd find in your meter box. Flick it off and screw the panel back on. Just make sure no-one sees you doing it. If it suddenly comes back on, you'll know someone reported it. In that case, best to leave it alone.

Christmas on Clarafield

Full time elf
Yea BundyRoy that is a High Voltage warning sign. Part of my low tech security and works surprisingly well at keeping people out of the yard.
One positive, I was outside last night connecting lights to controllers and didn't need a torch this year to see anything.
Also, I sent an email to the council at the time of posting this thread and thanked them for the light upgrade. After all for 11 months of the year it's great. I had a minor whine about the impact to my lights. Guess what... I got a call back today. Just a shame I was at work so couldn't speak to them. I'm just stoked they actually got my email and responded and all within 48 hours.

ShellNZ

Senior elf
My lovely extremely bright orange streetlight mysteriously goes out for the month of December as well, weird ;)

This year as I am "in the spotlight a bit" with the council (no pun intended) instead of removing the fuse which we have done in previous year or two we will be dislodging it instead. The reason, if the council come out to do any testing and notice it and crack it open, the fact there is no fuse in there would be very odd lol, so we shall dislodge it instead.

arw01

Full time elf
A number of LOR folks report they have a spot light that shines on the photo sensor for those lights and they think it's day time for a few hours :)

If they don't have an IR filter you might even be able to use one of those to turn it off and no one would see it except your video camera as you record the show for us to enjoy.

damo1271

Full time elf
.22 calibre will fix it.
No messing around with fuses or driver bits and you don't even have to leave the front porch...
:D

Jim

New elf
I would get a letter from my doctor saying that the bright street light is affecting my sleep and hence my health. Send this of to council etc and local member of parliament if necessary. This should have it rectified (pardon the pun)...Jim

elnino

Full time elf
damo1271 said:
.22 calibre will fix it.
No messing around with fuses or driver bits and you don't even have to leave the front porch...
:D

Close to what I was thinking - When I was (a lot) younger, we used tennis ball cannons...