My Tune To Sign

tuppetsdad

Funding & Tech Support
Decided to give up on waiting to get a scrolling sign and build a light box.

First made a shallow box 600mm x 300 mm and cut some 3mm white perspex to fit. Painted the box and fitted some hooks inside for the cables. We went with White, Red and Green led strings ... cause that's what we have left over.
inside light box.png

Mother Tuppet has a nice computerised cutter for scrap booking (Bosskut Gazelle) which does a nice job on Vinyl sheet. We only had black so went with that. Tuppet did the artwork layout and then I cut them and mounted them on the perspex.

Turned on and it looks great...as long as I don't have to change the radio frequency!
light box multi.JPG
Light Box RED.JPG

Tried out some music with our transmitter and range is a bit limited so will need to get a larger aerial. People kept stopping and tuning in their radio so light box looks to be effective... tell them what to do and they are keen to give it a try.. and now the challenge of getting our lights synced with the music .. over to you Tuppet.

SmartAlecLights

Im a SmartAlec what can i say!
Community project designer
that looks great,
who would of thought a scrap booking tool would make it look so good.
did you place the lettering on the inside or the outside of the frount cover?

tuppet

Apprentice elf
it's on the outside, but the sign is pretty protected so there shouldn't be too many issues with the weather, although the heat could be interesting in summer.

Robbo

Full time elf
nice sign.....it gives me ideas for my sign.

I bought a lightbox off ebay for $20 last year it measures approx 630mmX460mm with the viewable size being a little less of 600X430 only I havent used it this year, the lightbox was used at a telecommunications store and has 2 flouro tubes inside it and a pesrpex sheeting on both sides then a vinyl sheet which has the telecommunications signage on it and then another sheet of perspex I am thinking of doing the same as what you have done using a scalpal type cutting instrument to cut out letters to put on the front between the 2 sheets of perspex and hang it on the front fence which will be visible during daylight hours and lit up in the night time.

I will post pictures when done....

daunce

Full time elf
The wife is into crafts as well, so i'm always 'helping' her when she starts looking at die cutters/cnc machines. She'll get it one day.. and i might use it a bit too. :) The Skatz Katz one does double the pressure of other cutters i've seen.

tuppetsdad

Funding & Tech Support
Yes Mrs Tuppet has a few nice tools herself and plenty of spare blades so no probs with our lettering. Had to get her a computer cutter as it was costing a fortune on dies for cutting letters. What we really want is a CNC profiling machine so we can also make 3D models - my other hobby is dolls houses - and also expand on our ideas with laser cut panels.