Need An Opinion

wbottomley

One Light Too Bright
Most know I do a huge display with many channels. :p

Next season, I plan to build a huge matrix. I saw Fast Eddy's preference guide to pixels.

So... here's the question: Would you use ribbon strips or pixels? Why? Because I know how fragile ribbon strips are but I would have to make holes in coroplast to accommodate the pixels.

So many choices and so little time. The ideal size would be determined by what's used.

Bird

LOR user
I would use ribbons. Less work.

My plan is to cut ribbons in half making 2 rows per strip.
Mounting to a solid backing will take care of the fragile part.
Coro on top to defuse light.
Also programing in LOR SuperStar appears easy with ribbons.
If there is a cost difference in lights, that would be another thing to consider.

Keep in mind, this opinion is base off LOR software and 120v electric.
Opinion might change if DC matrix option becomes available with LOR. But ribbons will probably still be my opinion.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
I find that when the strip is mounted to the corex its then becomes strong, the strip is only fragile if its not mounted to something.

I prefer strip as its easy to work with has a great level of weather protection and i prefer 12vdc due to less voltage drop issues

I used the 12vdc 10 pixels per metre strip for my matrix

but if you wanted to get even a higher resolution then you can also get the strip in 5vdc 32 pixels per metre.

Then if you wanted to use pixel strings then these would be a great option as these do not suffer the same issue of water ingress as the standard pixels sometimes do. You can get these in 2801 as well if you ask Ray.

I reakon between the 2 it would be a lot less work using the ribbons, but then if a LED fails you have a bit more work to repair it compared to the pixel string.

So some choose pixels strings and some choose pixel strip to make their matrix, it really goes down to what you would prefer to use.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Robbo said:
I only found these ones this morning courtesy of Steve, they are a bit different to the ones you posted Eddy, the wire seems to come in through the top and bottom sides of the square module rather than through and out the bottom side like the ones you posted Eddy,

http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/701799/209889132-521371851/RGB-full-LED-pixel-module-WS-2801-IC-DC5V-input-50pcs-a-string.html

My last link in my previous post was to the 6803 ones of these as i couldnt find the link to the 2801, I have a couple of samples of these. These are great as they are totally encpsulated with resin and appear to require no additional work. I reakon these would be a good choice for a pixel mega tree as you could just use strapping and attach the pixel to that, this way you get the same orientation for all the LEDs.

mschell

Full time elf
I would lean toward the strips/ribbons as well. It's much easier to get a straight line with the strips and there's lots less hole punching/drilling in the coro. Also, when the strip is mounted to a heavier substrate/backing, they get very strong and less likely to break/fail.

William, since you're somewhat local - you need to come by and see the verticals on my house. I took the dumb RGB strip, mounted it to a wider strip of coro - all about 2 feet long. 4 of these are mounted on 1x4 lumber and then a cover of rounded coro is put on top to diffuse the light. Probably not too different in construction from eddy's candles.

All this to say that the strip works well when NOT bent or flexed too much. And a matrix doesn't change too much.

Bill Ellick

Full time elf
ɟɐsʇǝppʎ said:
I used the 12vdc 10 pixels per metre strip for my matrix

but if you wanted to get even a higher resolution then you can also get the strip in 5vdc 32 pixels per metre.

Then if you wanted to use pixel strings then these would be a great option as these do not suffer the same issue of water ingress as the standard pixels sometimes do. You can get these in 2801 as well if you ask Ray.

Can you tell me what size your matrix is please?
I too am getting into using these and want to change my LED strings around the windows and doors to pixel strips but I also want to build a matrix for next year as well.
I suppose that the regular "dumb" strips work fine for windows and such from what I have read and learned so far?
Thanks for the info and help.
Bill

wbottomley

One Light Too Bright
mschell said:
I would lean toward the strips/ribbons as well. It's much easier to get a straight line with the strips and there's lots less hole punching/drilling in the coro. Also, when the strip is mounted to a heavier substrate/backing, they get very strong and less likely to break/fail.

William, since you're somewhat local - you need to come by and see the verticals on my house. I took the dumb RGB strip, mounted it to a wider strip of coro - all about 2 feet long. 4 of these are mounted on 1x4 lumber and then a cover of rounded coro is put on top to diffuse the light. Probably not too different in construction from eddy's candles.

All this to say that the strip works well when NOT bent or flexed too much. And a matrix doesn't change too much.

I will do Mark.

jstjohnz

Apprentice elf
I like pixel strings because of the spacing flexibility. With the strips you are either at 3" per pixel with the 12-volt triple-led pixels, or about 1" per pixel with the led-per-pixel strips.

My array this year is on 2" centers. I ordered the pixels with just enough wire to do 3" spacing, so I can use those pixel strings in any density from 1" to 3". The square-based epoxy-filled pixels seem to be very waterproof and snap snugly into 4mm coro. I used pegboard as a template to drill holes in coro panels, and I was able to drill all 6 panels at one time, so it really didn't take too long.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
jstjohnz said:
I like pixel strings because of the spacing flexibility. With the strips you are either at 3" per pixel with the 12-volt triple-led pixels, or about 1" per pixel with the led-per-pixel strips.

My array this year is on 2" centers. I ordered the pixels with just enough wire to do 3" spacing, so I can use those pixel strings in any density from 1" to 3". The square-based epoxy-filled pixels seem to be very waterproof and snap snugly into 4mm coro. I used pegboard as a template to drill holes in coro panels, and I was able to drill all 6 panels at one time, so it really didn't take too long.

Im wondering how visible the matrix is during the daylight, would these pixels be good to use as the basis for a 24 hour sign that will be used at a school.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
ɟɐsʇǝppʎ said:
Im wondering how visible the matrix is during the daylight, would these pixels be good to use as the basis for a 24 hour sign that will be used at a school.

I'd almost guarantee that they will be nowhere near bright enough for daylight use Eddy.