Need help on a project starting from nothing

Pigcorn

New elf
My 7 year old daughter said "dad I want cool christmas lights that you hear on the radio station"..she saw this near grandmas house in Long Island. We live in Seattle and while I don't want to go overboard I have the luxury of starting new.

From what I have researched over the past few days, it looks like Light o Rama and Intelligent rgb is the way to go for me for what I am looking to accomplish. I made a rough sketch over a picture of my house and have a few trees not on the pics that I want lighted as well.

I am confused. Do I even need a LOR AC controller if I only want RGB, CMD24 controller looks like it can stand alone.

Help. In this pic I want pixel string lights in the trees, on the wreaths on the chimney, arches, and rgb LEDs on my steps and retaining wall as shown. Where do I start?

qwyb9i.jpg

mborg10

Michael Borg
Welcome aboard. You have definitely come to the right place to find out how to put your display together. As Alan said read thru the 101 manual. A lot of hours have been spent creating this manual to answer such questions as these. Once you have read it, then re-read it haha It is an invaluable document. Don't be too quick to run out and buy something.

If you are just planning on running pixels then there is no need for an AC controller. Did you mean a CMB24 controller. I couldn't find CMD24 on the LOR website. If so the CMB24 isn't a smart pixel controller. It is a DC controller. Meaning it does the same thing as an AC ON/OFF/Twinkle etc but in a DC format.

This board however can control "DUMB" RGB strips. The big difference between DUMB and SMART RGB is DUMB will change the entire strip the same colour, whereas SMART will control each section of the strip separately letting you do colour chases etc. A better explanation is in the 101 manual.

The LOR option for this is the cosmic colour ribbon but compared to other options tho can an expensive one.

Knowing this have a read of the 101 manual especially at smart and dumb RGB and come back with anymore questions or even jump into chat sometime.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
Christmas @ the Myrtle (Michael) said:
Welcome aboard. You have definitely come to the right place to find out how to put your display together. As Alan said read thru the 101 manual.

Are Alan and I interchangeable now? :eek: lol

mborg10

Michael Borg
David_AVD said:
Welcome aboard. You have definitely come to the right place to find out how to put your display together. As Alan said read thru the 101 manual.

Whoops. So is that an insult or a compliment haha

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
David_AVD said:

Maybe we're as handsome as each other? :-\

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
David and I are semi interchangeable ;)
The newer ACL 101 is at http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php?topic=5803.0
I've been debating over adding a section on using DC-DC converters in your display as it has been a recent hot topic on ACL. Other than it not having that in there there is a whole multitude of new and updated stuff in there.

Alan

David_AVD said:
David_AVD said:

Benslights

Dedicated elf
David_AVD said:
David_AVD said:

I so hope ACL has not come down to looks. have you seen the mini group pics??? we are Doomed. AS Alan/David said the 101 manual is the best place to start really and also Chat

Bird

LOR user
First of all welcome
Welcome.gif

to ACL PC

LOR is not the cheapest route but it is the easiest way to go. Setup is simple, programing is ... well programing. :)
Support is very good.
LOR CCR's (strips) come with their own controller and power supply.
LOR CCB's (bulbs) come 2 strings with their own controller and power supply.
Software you will need LOR S3 with SuperStar.
LOR does have some limitations to display size.

Before you do anything read the 101 manual.
Try to determine how many strips and strings are going to be needed and then ask questions. Read the manual again, ask more questions. I refer to the manual, chat and posts often.

And ... joining these forums and entering the chat room can give you CLAP!!! :D
Christmas Lighting Addiction Problem