need help with software to sequence lights

Hi really new to all this. Just wondering if there is a version of software that can be run on a mac to sequence a light show? We don't own a pc so I bought a cheap one on ebay and it was the wrong requirements so can't run vixen on it. so instead of wasting more money I thought I'd ask here for help. If there isn't a mac software, what kind of computer would work and what price range would I be looking at???
Thanks for your help

bluzervic

65,768 Channels, 185 Universes
holly and mistletoe said:
Hi really new to all this. Just wondering if there is a version of software that can be run on a mac to sequence a light show? We don't own a pc so I bought a cheap one on ebay and it was the wrong requirements so can't run vixen on it. so instead of wasting more money I thought I'd ask here for help. If there isn't a mac software, what kind of computer would work and what price range would I be looking at???
Thanks for your help

Take a look at Xlights 4, it should be able to run on a MAC as well.

battle79

Full time elf
If vixen is what you want to use, then you could use bootcamp and install windows onto your MAC. Then you just choose to boot into windows rather than mac OS.

Otherwise xLights will be the go.

Cheers,
Rowan

logandc99

Dedicated elf
I highly recommend xlights on the mac.

Edit: by the way, I'm happily sequencing on a 6 year old Mac with no speed issues in xlights

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i13

Dedicated elf
I would highly recommend using xLights over this but your cheap Windows computer should be capable of running Vixen 2.1.1 if all else fails. I REALLY want to emphasise that Vixen 2.1 is obsolete and not a good option if you ever want pixel lights. I used it for 2 seasons and wouldn't recommend it for anything other than a last resort option if all else fails.

I'm now using xLights on Windows and it's great! You could try running xLights on the cheap Windows computer.

Kitman

Full time elf
Depending on how you plan on running your show, from a windows or mac based PC or from a raspberry pi and how many lights you are running will really depend on what you need to be able to run the show.

Can you provide the details of the cheap computer you purchased? What CPU how much Ram etc. Did you get an error when trying to install or run Vixen? if so what error? perhaps you just need some .net framework stuff installed which are freely available off the net and then the software will work.

Really need some more info about what you have to be able to advise exactly what else is needed.

If anyone knows about PCs I appreciate it if you would know if I can do any thing to get it to run the latest Vixen.

this is the specs:

HP Laptop

Windows 10
Compaq-nx6325
Processor: AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-56 1.80GHz
Installed RAM: 3GB
System Type: 32-bit operating system, x64-based processor

this is the error message I get when loading vixen: This APP can't run on your PC. Try and find a version for your PC, check with the software publisher.

As you can probably tell I have really no clue with PCs, any advice given I will try my best to apply.

AntinOz

Apprentice elf
Also check that you didn't the install the 64 bit version on a 32 bit OS. I can run the latest version on my Acer Aspire One which is much lower specs then that. It doesn't perform well but it runs!