Need smart RGB strip

johnson8ryley

My idol is ɟɐsʇǝppʎ
I have the same story everyone else has and that is im looking into getting RGB strips but don't have the money to buy CCRs.I know the difference between smart and dumb but I keep finding dumb strips. Could someone point me in the direction of some smart strips? Also, I'm wanting to use a DC board so I may connect some dumb strips later down the road but am open minded to DMX. I just don't understand why LORs idmx is $249. I just need a setup that can replace my arches.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
There are heaps of smart LED strips available on AliExpress. Just look for "6803" or "2801" in the description as they are the two most common pixel drive chips.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
The LOR CCR uses the 6803 strip but the CCR controller outputs the data at 4 x to simulate a higher level of dimming as apposed to a standard 6803 without the CCR controller

Techster

New elf
FastEddy,

Thanks for all the info, I have watched the introduction to RGB video's and ready to begin my purchasing for integration and experimentation, but I have a few questions - I am looking to integrate RGB into my display, but currently have LOR3, I have been looking at a few suppliers of RGB Holidaycoro, stellascapes, CCR, and Ray Wu's pixel strips (5m LED Digital strip...6803 IC, 30pcs 5050 SMD per meter:DC12V input;with silicon tubing).

For stellascapes I would need Madrix, LOR IDMX, and Stellagreen for Ray Wu's controller I am thinking that I would need the LOR CCR controller,12 VDC power supply, then I can utilize Ray Wu's pixel strips - but guessing that I could use the LOR Super star to do the programming - or should I use another program.

This may open some debate, but I am looking for personal experiences before I begin investing $$ in hardware.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
If you are using LOR S3 advanced version then this will allow you to incorporate DMX controllers into your display and you can run anything that runs from a DMX signal, this means you could run the Ray Wu pixels with a DMX controller and dongle.
LOR also have mentioned e1.31 communication support during the first 1/2 of the year which will enable you to have access to many other pixel controllers to use with LOR

I use Lightshow pro as it already has that support, vixen also has that support but currently isnt the best with pixels until Vixen 3 is released and that is currently in beta.

In the end the software needs to do what you want and if LOR S3 can do what you want then no need to swap programs, if it doesnt then look at vixen or LSP.

To run the stellascapes pixels you dont need madrix, all you need is software that supports e1.31 communications if using the stellascapes controller, you can also use the stellascape strings with other pixels controllers.

Dont go rushing out to buy anything, ensure you understand your options before commiting

Benslights

Dedicated elf
also speaking with Brian there is a patch for there superstar software to accept MDX also i tried the patch and it worked but will be in a new update soon i hope.

johnson8ryley

My idol is ɟɐsʇǝppʎ
David_AVD said:
There are heaps of smart LED strips available on AliExpress. Just look for "6803" or "2801" in the description as they are the two most common pixel drive chips.
which one is better? 6803 or 2801? Thanks

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
If the price is similar then the 2801 as it is an 8bit chip allowing 256 dimming steps per primary colour compared to the 6803 which is 5 bit and having 32 dimming steps.

mschell

Full time elf
The "intelligent" pixels speak their own language. So you need a controller that speaks something that LOR can put out and also talks pixel.
So, you've got some choices. There is SANdevices E680/681, J1sys's PIXADx and Stellescapes E16, but they all use DMX over Ethernet (E1.31). The E68x is available assembled in or in a kit. LOR S3 doesn't currently put out E1.31.

There have been some DIY controller that will do E1.31 in, DMX out, and with something like the TP3244 (no longer in production) you could control pixels.

I guess with Madrix in the mix, you could have your PC output via E1.31 from Madrix to the pixels, and just have LOR tell your PC via an iDMX when to change patterns.

The major reason why most of the pixel controllers use E1.31 is just the sheer amount of data that has to be sent to control lots of pixels, and it usually goes beyond a single DMX universe quickly.

I don't think you can get the CCR controller separately, so unless you plan to buy a CCR anyway, you'll need to find a controller somewhere....

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
You can use 6803 strip with a CCR, however the colours maybe GRB instead of RGB. this can be altered in programs like LSP. not sure about LOR

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
ѕυρєямαη said:
You can use 6803 strip with a CCR, however the colours maybe GRB instead of RGB. this can be altered in programs like LSP. not sure about LOR
You can do this in LOR but it may be a tedious process