Networking issues

brando

Full time elf
Your Ring devices do receive an IP from your DHCP server. (I just checked mine to be sure.)
How are your light devices getting their IPs? Statically assigned at the device, or reservations made at the router?
Are your lighting device IPs within or outside of the pool for DHCP served IPs?
How much traffic are your devices using? It may be that your devices are maxing out your wifi. That many cameras (including the one on your doorbell) may be choking when your sequences are running.
Are you sending sync packets across your wifi, or full data?
I have my DHCP range set from 2-150, my controllers start from 201.
I have been trying to assign my Ring devices static ip's but my router isn't letting me save them. I am trying to set them 171 onwards.
My controllers aren't running over wifi.

BAZMick

Full time elf
Generous elf
I would buy another 8 port switch and run the controllers on a separate enclosed network

brando

Full time elf
I would buy another 8 port switch and run the controllers on a separate enclosed network
They're the only devices connected to the switch I have. Everything else in my house runs on WiFi.

This is where I was thinking it would need to go, but not being tech savy to that extent, I don't know how to go about this. Do they just need to be set on their own subnet? If I do that, how do I then access them from my laptop?

prof

Apprentice elf
Since you only mention using capes to control the lights.
Have you checked FPP to make sure you have not accidentally enabled e131 outputs etc (especially the keep sending option) which would bombard the ethernet connection into the home network.

brando

Full time elf
Since you only mention using capes to control the lights.
Have you checked FPP to make sure you have not accidentally enabled e131 outputs etc (especially the keep sending option) which would bombard the ethernet connection into the home network.
This seems to have been it. Every time I power up it inserts and enables these outputs again

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
If there are no outputs defined, there should be no traffic. If you do have outputs defined to unknown IP addresses, then the switches and wifi will flood the packets to the network until they learn the mac address of the destination (which will never happen as there's no device) - and this would cause WiFi to grind to a halt.

Kavee

New elf
If your Wi-Fi router has two ports, most likely it is not designed to handle much clients/bandwidth! Probably your 3 cameras and other WiFi devices are already taking a tall on the capacity, and loading lighting traffic may bring it to knees. IP cameras are the first to suffer on the face of bandwidth issues. If you go through the router specification, you may figure it's limitations.
If you can spend a little money and time configuring, try UDM setup. It will not only have room for the network traffic to stretch, but you can create isolated networks, such as for your lighting setup, and limit those traffic into a sperate switch (given switch also a Unify managed)

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
The ports on a router are just as switch. They dont touch the CPU of the router and switch the traffic directly between them. Think of it as a "3 port" switch - two external ports, and one internal port to the "router" component of the box.
Even the cheapest, nastiest routers use a bog standard switch chip in them which are capable of line-speed 100Mbps or 1Gbps switching (depending on port speeds).

The limitation is when it has to cross the router portion, so performing IP routing & NAT, between the LAN and WAN ports. Cheap ones do it in software on a crappy CPU that just doesn't have the guts to do it at line-rate.