New Controller - PixLite 4

ltay13

Full time elf
Community project designer
Hi All,

I'm happy to announce that we will be releasing a new controller called the PixLite 4. It will be a much smaller version of the PixLite 16 but it will operate the exact same way. Here are the differences between it and the PixLite 16:

-4 pixel string outputs (instead of 16)
-16 universes (instead of 32)
-680 pixels per outputs (instead of 340)
-Up to 7A per channel (default fuses are 5A) (instead of 4A on PixLite 16)
-1 dedicated DMX output port (instead of 4)
-113x70mm dimension (instead of 204x120mm)

We've been getting asked for a while now to produce another controller to suit other applications. We looked at increasing the number of pixels the PixLite 16 can run, but decided that any more would have very limited practical use - it is already a huge amount to control from one location. We were asked for something of similar value but smaller from quite a lot of people, so here we are.

Half as many pixels as the PixLite 16 for $129.95 USD. This puts it as the second best value E1.31 pixel controller on the market, second only to the PixLite 16 - that is only taking into account the number of controllable pixels per $, not the additional features on offer.

On top of that, we will be pre-selling them for $119.95 so if you order before we have them in stock, you can grab yourself some extra savings. These controllers are expected to ship around the beginning of August, but maybe sooner.

http://www.advateklights.com/shop/mantis-pixel-mapping/38-pixlite-4-controller.html

Thanks for everyone's support, we hope you like it.

ecbailey

Full time elf
I think this could be a good solution for my Pixel Tree. How much do you anticipate shipping to Melbourne is?

Just to check, it is capable of driving the max number of pixels for all protocols?

Devo

Apprentice elf
Local freight is very cheap via Auspost - around $5 or so for a single controller.

Yes it supports up to 680 pixels per output on all supported protocols :)

ltay13

Full time elf
ECB - sometimes the online calculator doesn't work well within Australia. Just send us an e-mail with what you're after and your address if it seems wrong and we'll send you a quote.

sales@advateklights.com

ltay13

Full time elf
I would suggest nothing different to how you would normally house your controllers and power supplies. Are you referring to how the power is wired? Or about whether we will be making it into a Plug & Play style option already inside a box?

If you house the PSU and controller in the same box, you could have your connectors run completely through the PixLite itself (power as well as data straight out of the PixLite connectors). This will give you up to 7A of power through each connector. Even at that much current you are probably going to be power injecting off separate wires anyway, so you shouldn't ever need more than that much current through a single output.

The other approach (that is often used with long data runs) is to only run data from the controller itself and supply power to the lights independently of the controller. (Ensuring controller ground is connected to lights ground).

As for a Plug & Play version of the controller, not at this stage - although we are looking at a Plug & Play controller that could handle the large power requirements of pixel strip in the coming future.

DeeJai

Is that Magic Smoke?!?
Ryan.. where is the Like buttons.. This is / looks to be very interesting.. I already see a number of uses..

Well done guys

AussieDoug

Full time elf
Great stuff, the wife will love hearing I have more stuff that I NEED to buy :)

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
LIKE.jpg

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
As a new person to the christmas lighting game I think this is a great board for people just starting out. It has some great capabilities, can handle enough amps to drive some strip lights and the price is lower. It lets people start off without a huge outlay. This is important when you are not sure of your ability and how you will go working things out.

Baf05

Full time elf
Being such a nubie, I am wondering how you control 16 universes with only 4 out puts?

ltay13

Full time elf
Hi Baf.

Universes relate to the input side of the control (data coming in). 4 universes is enough information to control 680 pixels, so you can have 680 pixels on each of the 4 outputs. 4 outputs * 4 universes of data on each = 16 universes total.

SmartAlecLights

Im a SmartAlec what can i say!
i know no-one has asked this..
so im guessing the answer is allready no (hope not)
can each output run a different pixel type?
or do we still have to use the one protocall for all of them universe's?

eg i have ws2801's on output one, an ws2811's on the second output.
can this sort of configuration work yet?
thanks