new guy from michigan

keegensnemo

New elf
thanks for the add in to the fourms i been reading and reading even did the 101 book 2 times and still re reading parts of it .

little about me not new to diy got 1 model train layout 30 feet by 20 feet . done computer builds and repairs so able to build boards if needed.
so after all this reading i have been planing this light show for 3 years on paper and in my head .. first thing i want to get out of the way as i feel it is the bigest part of the show is my mega tree with a tri star

here are the plans for the tree
42-50 pixel each strand 12 strands?
star thinking on 3 one 18 inches 1 24 inches and last 30 inches all set as a dumb rgb i do under stand this par as this would be a total of 9 chanels just for the star.
their is some other thing i going to add in mini trees roof line dumb rgb but them come later down the road.

now here is the thing i see the dmx is a total of 512 chanels off the dongel to the controls (corect me if i am worng ) no if one lixel is one chanel then what is the total of controllers i nedd for just the mega tree as that would me the only pixel in the show for now . or is the controllers on a 16 chanel board set up for 16 sets of lights and then the dmx dongel can sub set the light strand chanels . as if i went with a 42 pixel high mega tree would it be 1 chanel each strand..

as for what is on hand as of now i have was a payment for pc work
2 dmx usb pro mk2
50 pixel strand @5 meter total 75 meters
2 power supply 1 @ 50 amp either 12v-or 5 v 1 @ 50 amp 12v
so it seems i missing controllers.. to run just the tree for now as this will me my winter task to ready for next year..

thanks for al your help guys
i got a special show i ben wanting to do for my disabled son

scamper

Dedicated elf
Welcome to ACL. I am new to this this year also, and am only doing 'dumb' strings.
Yes, if you are doing a pixel tree then each node is a channel, so you will need an appropriate controller. I am sure someone else will jump in and help you here.
I bought an e1.31 controller which gives me 4 x 512 channels for my dumb setup, but it is better for future proofing.

i13

Dedicated elf
Welcome.

Let's clarify a few technical details. A channel is able to switch something on, off or dim it. With pixel nodes every pixel light is 3 channels, one channel each for red, green and blue so that you can control the colour and brightness of every individual light. most of us use E1.31 to support the thousands of channels that they add up to but most DMX-512 controllers don't accept E1.31 input. E1.31 allows you to have large numbers of DMX universes (each with 510 usable channels). The pixels are switched by the pixel controller (which does accept E1.31 input) sending data to the first pixel in the string and that pixel sends the data on to the next pixel and the next one etcetera. They have power to them all of the time.

Dumb RGB has 3 channels for each light set and like pixels, you can cut it into smaller sets. You can still control the colour and brightness but the whole light set changes as one. The controller switches the power to each of these 3 channels. You seem to have the right idea about the star but it might be easier to use pixels instead of dumb RGB considering that there are pixels near it anyway and they could send data to it.

jcmarksafb

Hello from Christopher Creek Arizona
Welcome to ACL! As usual you are getting very good advice. Pretty aggressive for your first show, but I wish you luck. Stop by chat and say hi and to ask any questions you might have. A very friendly place.
John

Bird

LOR user
Welcome.gif

to ACL keegensnemo

gerry

Senior elf
Welcome to ACL.

What software are you planning to use to drive the pixel tree ?

And when you say 50 strands and 75 metres - how many pixels are you planning to run in each strand ?

Are you planning to use pixel strip or pixel strings for this ?

keegensnemo

New elf
gerry said:
Welcome to ACL.

What software are you planning to use to drive the pixel tree ?

And when you say 50 strands and 75 metres - how many pixels are you planning to run in each strand ?

Are you planning to use pixel strip or pixel strings for this ?
the strands ar 50 pixel each and 5m long got a total of 15 strands as for program I got the light show pro and vixen3 planning on running 1 full strand per chanel and thinking on 12 chanels for the tree its self and 3 others for the stars as I was thinking as I got the pixels so why not use them over the dumb rgb ... as for the boards was looking as the e1.31 16 chanel as they can run dxm and got a local guy willing to give me crash corse on dmx at the local concert house... was planning on getting 4 of the e1.31 boards as I rather have them on hand if I get done with tree sooner then I plan I can work on other stuff.. as for power thinking on 350w power boxes from rays.. been looking at some smart rgb rays has to offer. What would be a good set from him was thinking on the 100 rgb runs as I could cut them down if needed for oyher needs..

indyeast83

New elf
Welcome! Things aren't terrible when working with the dumb pixel strips but if you start going with the intelligent strips you will definitely want to look into the E1.31 controllers as stated above.