New Guy

neilteo

New elf
Hi All,
Yep I am a newbee. Was invited by Colin (thanks Col) to the Mini on the 24th July in Sydney.
I am a Telecommunications Engineer by trade and am still (well was) in the industry from 1980 until last week when I was made redundant. So now I have some time on my hands to do some research around my new hobby?!? whilst I wait for the offers to come rolling in ?!?!?

I have for the last 15 years put up some what you guys would call "lame" xmas lights but when they first went up they use to draw a crowd as not many houses had light sequences back then. It was a crude 4 channel sequencer feeding 12 (cause each o/p had 3 areas but did not look like it !!) that each night I use to dial a different pattern. Because it looked different people were interested. I then put up a Santa that everyone around here knows about. The difference with my Santa is that it had a Mazda Wiper Motor up its back (was tempted to say something else but I read the rules :) ). So its arms wave up and down. Always see/hear the little kids say "Hey its Santa"!

That old 4 channel sequencer and santa is gettin on now and its time to upgrade. What have I started !?!?!?

So I bought 4 LOR controllers (240v versiions) and at this point I am physically slapping myself around the head. Once I come out of the daze I will see wtf I do now. I have cabled CAT5 cable to my nieghbours house and we have two controllers in each house. Has anyone else done this??

So I will have some questions for you all I am sure. I do understand electronics, designed and made my own car alarms 25 odd years ago but have lost my skills (all I know now is a soldering Iron can burn a whole through plastic :) ) but I do have an appreciation of it all (studied Elect Eng Certifcate in the 80s).

Anyways, enuf about me....

Neil
Chipping Norton NSW Australia

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
An official welcome to ACL Neil, it was nice to meet you at the Sydney mini and as you have discovered there is a wealth of information to digest. Feel free to ask questions as the guys here should be able to answer any of your queries.

lithgowlights

Dedicated elf
Welcome, and it was nice to meet you at the Mini. Hope you learnt something at the mini, and will be back again next year, as will I.

The variety in gear, show setups and programming styles, and ability of those putting them on is what makes the shows unique and fun to watch and thats all that matters in the end

cscool36

Full time elf
Hi Neil,
Welcome aboard ACL. It great you have sign up. There is lot's of infomation here.
Let me know if you need help.
Colin

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
Welcome-18-june.gif