New PixLite 4 losing my settings

dmoore

Senior elf
David from HolidayCoro here. We are working with Luke and we have sent a second power supply to him that we were able to repo the problem from here and are awaiting the results. Luke has been providing some new firmware to us for testing but it is hard since he is unable to repo the problem on his end. We will continue to work with Luke until a solution is found to this issue. Thank you for your patience.

Thanks,
David

nmiller0113

New elf
Thanks for the update dmoore

This is why I'll continue to purchase from HolidayCoro and will continue to grow my Pixlite environment. The support and dedication is awesome.

Thanks again to both HolidayCoro and Pixlite!

ltay13

Full time elf
Community project designer
The problem ended up being a very low quality output from the effected users' power supply. They were all using the same model. We've compensated for it in firmware though so at least the controller is more robust now.

For interests sake (and to highlight PSU quality), here are some images of the voltage output of the PSU when it is turned off and comparisons to some genuine Meanwell ones.

Cheap copy PSU:

fw1t6q.jpg

684lm9.jpg

2qcqkuv.jpg

Genuine Meanwell RSP-320-12:

2zjmlfm.jpg

Genuine Meanwell NES-320-12:

15mn2gn.jpg

davrus

Silent elf
Would it be possible to put up some photos of the problem power supply, which show identifying details.

I believe that HC get their products from China, and I would like to see if my units might be suspect too. Mine are from Ray Wu, and I haven't had any problems up to now. However, Ray now has a different unit for his 350W 12V unit, which I got on my additional order, and which I haven't used yet. Just looking for peace of mind, with Christmas so close.

HC may have photos of the PSU on their web site, but where I live, I have no access to the HC site which has the details.

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Is there any likelihood of damage to lights or the controller in the long term due to the irregularity of the voltage on shut down. I'm not having a go at anyone. I can guarantee that the PSU's I have from China are no better. Just interested as it could effect equipment selections in the future.

I figure/hope it can't be too bad as the cheap PSU's have been used for a while now, but just interested as it is basically compulsory to switch the controller off and on everytime you do anything.

ltay13

Full time elf
Community project designer
I don't want to post photos with identifying details for a few reasons but mainly because I don't really think it will be much use. A lot of these PSUs look incredibly similar or identical but can be quite different inside.

My main point to convey is just another message about PSU quality differences. I've seen a few good posts already on ACL talking about it (from professionals), mainly from other perspectives such as PFC. I thought this would be another good example of how there can be huge differences in quality within PSUs.

Even genuine NES models are not really acceptable in a commercial environment when you consider PFC/EMC/EMI so a lot of the PSUs that are even cheaper copies of that are bound to have problems.

Everyone has their own opinion but ours is Meanwell SP range quality or higher and we use the RSP range ourselves. I also understand that a lot of people aren't too worried about the quality of the PSU much and I'm not trying to debate whether you can get away with the cheaper ones or not.

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]As far as HC website goes I think that's getting a little off topic, this is a generic conversation anyway.[/font]

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Bundy, no, I don't see any reason why they would damage your controllers.[/font]

nmiller0113

New elf
First of all...thanks to L_Tay and dmoore for getting to the bottom of this so quickly! Second, I had a couple questions. 1) Did you mean to say Meanwell NES-350-12, not 320-12? I couldn't find that model anywhere online so I was curious and 2) Would you mind giving me a brief description of the difference between the RSP vs the NES models? All I could really find on their site was one is non-PFC or passive while the other is active PFC. Is that the key difference between the two besides the fact that the other you mention is the RSP-320-12 and is a different wattage rating?

I'm also testing the firmware fix now and will let you know the results. But I may consider going with the better quality power supply...just as I do with all my computers I build. Same reasoning and I should have treated my Pixlite controllers the same way :) Thanks again!

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
I would also commend Advatek and HC on their product support. You don't see it offered up front without any questions that much any more. I'm sure it should and will lead to loyalty from customers.