New to computer control!

scamper

Dedicated elf
I have been putting up lights for a few years now and every time I make a bigger and brighter display, everyone in the neighbourhood outdoes me :mad: ... Si for next year I have decided that it is time to get into the 21st century and go computer control!
Oh what have I done ? :eek:
I have downloaded vixen 3 after doing some research and started playing around with that, I have settled on DMX controllers, as I believe I could get some use out of the party side of things throughout the year also. So have ordered a 27 ch controller and a couple of single channel rgb controllers and what I thought was the dongle that I needed to drive these, but now am not sure if it is what I need.
To start with I thought I would get a couple of bits together and do some testing, before blowing huge amounts of money on something that is no good. can someone tell me if this is what I need to go from the usb on my computer to the controllers? or did I waste my time and money. (it hasn't arrived yet)
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/281232548659?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
25028.jpg

ecbailey

Full time elf
Welcome to ACL, You are sure to find the info you need. Best way to start is by reading the 101 manual by FastEddy.

You're adapter, whilst probably not the most common starting method will allow you to control 512 channels. Most of us use E1.31, which is DMX over ethernet, or some use usb to dmx adapters, but instead of using the three pin connector, using ethernet cables (to be non technical).

None the less, its simply a different plug and the Ethernet ones still only uses 3 wires out of the 8.

In some instances, your plug may be more useful as this is what some of the controllers from ray accept.

If you post some links to the controllers you have bought, we can provide more help - either way everything you buy will be useful for something :)

Good Luck :)

dale82

Senior elf
I personally don't use one of those dongles, I use E1.31 protocol which is DMX data over Ethernet. I also use J1systems controllers for my display and they are e1.31 controlled. jump into chat and ask away as there is a lot of good people that can point you in the right direction as well

scamper

Dedicated elf
Thanks guys, I have downloaded the book and will read it later tonight. I am glad what I have will at least work so I can do some experimenting to start with.
I think I need to show my wife (Chief executive officer in charge of finance) the capabilities before I blow too much money. So will use this for now to get started and upgrade down the track.
I did my certificate in electronics many moons ago before leaving the electronics industry about 10 years ago. So understanding principles etc is no biggy, It is just that, as you all know, technology never stops.
Thanks again, I will read all I can and when I get my gear will have a play and keep my eye on this site so by next year, I hope to be up and running :D

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
I'm pretty sure that dongle won't work with any of the Christmas light software. For USB-DMX dongles, they usually require the "DMX Open" or "DMX Pro" type.

The one linked to sounds like it's vaguely similar to the "DMX Pro" units, but from memory others people have bought them only to find it only worked with a few specific stage lighting software packages.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Welcome to ACL. My best advice is to not rush into anything and thake your time to learn and understand the hobby. If you give it some effort then the rewards will be there at Christmas 2014 with a display that will knock your neigbours socks off with. So welcome to the hobby.