New Zealand

BradsXmasLights

WiFi Interactive
Hi All,

I'm planning a holiday to NZ, either March or early September next year. Or the date may change if there's an NZ mini too. Haha. :)

Undecided if we'll hire a car or camper or tour bus to get around yet - but we will definitely not be backpacking it lol :)

Any recommendations from the locals as to what Touristy things to do? Not in to skiing tho!

nzlongfellow

Dennis from NZ
Ok Driver,
North Island
Rotorua mud pools and geysers. Gondola and sledge ride.
Waitomo Caves (Te Kuiti area)
Napier - Art Deco central after 1931 earthquake.
90 Mile Beach (up West coast at the top, drive down the beach)
Auckland (City of sails - plenty of options for sailing on ex-Americas cup yachts)
Lake taupo - trout fishing, scenic mountain flights.
Wellington - Te Papa (National Museum - I could spend another 2 days there)

South Island
Fiordland
Franz Joseph Glacier
Up or down the West Coast
Visit Christchurch after the earthquakes.
Lots of tramping tracks
Farm stays
Visit Stewart Island - boat tours and fishing

http://www.touropia.com/tourist-attractions-in-new-zealand/

Don't know about a Mini but u never know :D

logandc99

Dedicated elf
nzlongfellow said:
Ok Driver,
North Island
Rotorua mud pools and geysers. Gondola and sledge ride.
Waitomo Caves (Te Kuiti area)
Napier - Art Deco central after 1931 earthquake.
90 Mile Beach (up West coast at the top, drive down the beach)
Auckland (City of sails - plenty of options for sailing on ex-Americas cup yachts)
Lake taupo - trout fishing, scenic mountain flights.
Wellington - Te Papa (National Museum - I could spend another 2 days there)

South Island
Fiordland
Franz Joseph Glacier
Up or down the West Coast
Visit Christchurch after the earthquakes.
Lots of tramping tracks
Farm stays
Visit Stewart Island - boat tours and fishing

http://www.touropia.com/tourist-attractions-in-new-zealand/

Don't know about a Mini but u never know :D

What he said [emoji4]

davrus

Silent elf
Yes, Auckland to Rotorua, don't go through Hamilton, take a side trip to the Coromandel Peninsula... visit Hot Water Beach (have to be there within a couple of hours of low tide, take a mini shovel to dig your private spa pool in the sand), and Cathedral Cove.... and if you are a beach person, then New Chums Beach (in the top 10 beaches in the world).

In Auckland, drive to the top of Mt Eden.... and drive by ShellNZ's house (lol)

multicast

Senior elf
Don't even worry about going to Auckland. Its just a mini-sydney, except the people speek a funny.

Spend your time in the South Island.

ShellNZ

Senior elf
The whole of NZ is a beautiful country, compare it with many other countries out there in the world Andrew.

Obviously you don't get out of Porirua/Wellington much, the rest of NZ thanks you for that :)

nzlongfellow

Dennis from NZ
ShellNZ said:
The whole of NZ is a beautiful country, compare it with many other countries out there in the world Andrew.

Obviously you don't get out of Porirua/Wellington much, the rest of NZ thanks you for that :)

Boom Boom Shell.... :D

Wanaka, Queenstown - is a must-see with the Steam Boat among lots of other things, Te Anau and the glow work caves.....

AND the Shot Over River Jet Boats (My nephew drives there 8) )
http://kjet.co.nz/our-products/?gclid=CPSWqdao2sECFY0svQod3XQAUg

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Only ever been to NZ for two weeks. 1 weeks skiing at Queenstown, then a weeks touring a little of the south island. We did bungy and jet boats at Queenstown. Jet boats are fantastic. If you bungy, do the ones over the river where you get dunked, much more of a thrill than the big drop over the canyon. The luge/cart things (sorry can't remember the name) at the top of the gondola in Queenstown were also fun, especially if you don't use the brakes much and they were one of the cheap options.

We did a helicopter flight at Mt Cook. Again expensive but fantastic. We also went to Hamner Springs for the hot baths. Pools were great but can't remember the town/area doing much for me. Also went whale watching at Kiakora (spelling/from memory so could be wrong) but it is time of year dependent.

The other tip is allow heaps of time for travelling. 100km in NZ doesn't take 1 hour like it does in Australia. Very windy roads.

Can't spend heaps in NZ in a short time if you're an adrenalin junky. If you only do one adrenalin thing, do jet boats.

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
What's Whangarei like? I hear there will be a new Kmart there opening early on the 20th ;)
Just like the one that opened early on Friday at Te Rapa :)