Newbie getting into pixels.

Minh Tuan

New elf
Hey there, I'm 16 and from Melbourne and I do my light show all by myself :D . Last year was my first attempt and it went well. I used 2x Lor CMB24D daisy chained together and controlling lots of 5050 dumb rgb strips. This year I would like to add some ws2811 strips to outline the roof and some pixel arches. The controller I chosen is a Pixlite 16 or a Sandevices E682. Probably a pixlite 16 because its free shipping.
Now the issue is that I don't know how to set them up. I believe its something gotta do with e1.31?
Can anyone recommend me a couple of ways on setting up these controllers with my current set-up?
Can I use a cat 5 cable off my laptop's ethernet port thingy and connect it to the controllers?

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Welcome to ACL
The pixlite and other E1.31 controllers can either be ran directly off your computers ethernet port or alternatively through a router. There's a connection example thingy in the ACL 101 which is linked in my signature file and it hangs out in the "learning centre" of the forum. Running off a Raspberry Pi or Beagle Bone Black is a common way that a lot of people are changing their shows to run as it doesn't tie up your pc during show time.

Minh Tuan

New elf
These stuff are so confusing ??? First thing is does these controllers require the internet connection to work? because my internet usually dc's
If the pixlite 16 can be run off my laptop's Ethernet port. I connect a cat 5 in the port and the other end to the pixlite 16? And if I have multiple pixlite 16s, I connect my laptop to a network switch and each pixlite 16 to each port on the switch?

If I use this option would my current lor set-up would still work yeah?
How does the router option work?
Sorry for all these questions.

JPB

Full time elf
Yes Minh, a network switch is what you need. A Router in its strictest definition would not work but a combined router/switch such as an ADSL modem will work.

ecbailey

Full time elf
Strictly for one, no, however you're sure to add more soon!

You should also be able to run the LOR controllers off the DMX output of the PixLite to reduce cables running from your computer.

You can save a few $$ on the switch and go for something like this which is will work equally as well for our purposes. You can chain switches together if needed to have more ports to dot them around the yard if necessary.

http://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Networking_-_Wired/Gigabit_Switches/21523-TL-SG1005D

Minh Tuan

New elf
I'm planning on making 4 pixel arches and outlining my roof. How would you plug the ws2811 strips to the board? By connecting each arch to each port on the controller individually? or connecting the arches end to end of each other and have one wire go into the board?

Bird

LOR user
Welcome.gif

to ACL

If you haven't found it yet, the new revised 2nd addition AusChristmasLighting 101 manual is a great resource for all things RGB and more. :)
As FastEddy just stated, reading the manual several times will help you a lot.
As you read thru, note questions you may have, note pages that may be answering your particular situation. Then read thru it again, and you will start to see answers you didn't see before. Read it again and more answers will pop up as well as more questions. Once your to the point you can not find precise answers to precise questions, then pop into chat and some of the friendly folks here will be glad to answer the question or at least point you to the precise answer.
Once you progress beyond LOR, as you now have, there are so many different variations you can go it does become difficult to help with general questions.
You indicate 2811 & pixel.
Example, what RGB are you going to use for the arches, how many channels on one arch, how big is power supply, etc.
The manual will help you answer these questions and more.
Good luck and we are here to help you over some of the rough spots and we will also help cheer you on to success. ;)