Newbie looking for suggestions on new display

layzer1

New elf
Hello All, I'm new to the scene and trying to do something basic this year. I'm on the fence about getting an F16v3 or F48 w/differential receivers. Based on example picture I've provided below, what would be some of the recommendations for going with F16 or F48.

I'm looking for suggestion best location for F16 and/or F48 w/differentials depending on the feedback along with Pros/Cons, guesstimate on how many power supplies/power injection areas I would need. I've calculated a total of 1485 pixels for this basic display with 3 inch spacing with the exception of the arches/mini trees/stars.

Approx width from left side of home to the right is 55 ft.
Roofline is approx 252 pixels
Doorway is approx 78 pixels
Garage outline is approx 208 pixels
Driveway path is approx 296 pixels, 25ft from garage to sidewalk
Window outline is approx 84 pixels
Mini Trees approx 216 for all four
Arches approx 200 pixels for all four
Stars approx 150 pixels for all three

1578283463784.png

uncledan

Senior elf
Generous elf
I'm not a huge fan of the F48 unless you have a huge display covering lots of area. Most of us don't have that... I would go with Option C - F4v3 with differential expansion and a diff receiver or two. One receiver for sure for the mini trees and arches. If using 12v you have two arches and two mini trees off each port of the receiver with the psu and diff receiver in the middle. Lots of options on where to put the main board. The bottom right or left of the large garage door in the garage makes the most sense to me. You will have to power inject or use several receivers. A little power injection seems simpler to me. You could use one port of F4v3 or F16v3 if you wish for small garage door, left star and driveway path on the left. Another output could do the middle star, large garage outline, star on the right, driveway path leading to front door and the driveway path on the right. The third output could do the roofline and window. Receivers all over the place or a little power injection, that's up to you. A compact display like that I see no need for the F48

layzer1

New elf
Awe man, I greatly appreciate your input. Since I'm new and don't know what I don't know, didn't know about the F4v3. I'd rather have the least amount of controllers/receivers to deal with so it seems like doing power injection would be the way to go so I'll need to learn and figure out how to do that. If I went with F4v3, would I need the differential expansion or could I utilize one of the connections (ethernet black connection labeled DMX, I could be wrong) from the F4v3 to connect to the diff receiver? I'll be using 12v bullet pixels IP68.

If I did go with a Diff expansion and a receiver or two, how many pixels can be utilized on each of the 4 ports?

Last edited:

uncledan

Senior elf
Generous elf
I know you can on the F16v3 but you lose outputs on main board. F4v3 I'm not sure.. I would recommend just buying the differential expansion for the F4v3 and two receivers. Still cheaper than F16v3 or F48 I think. You can always give David Pitts @pixelcontroller.com a call. His customer service is second to none. The F4v3 often gets overlooked but its an awesome board. I have 5 for a reason.

layzer1

New elf
Once again, thank you so much for the quick response/feedback. I'll definitely email/call David. So you think I'll need about 2 or 3 power supplies? I see a lot of people talking about Distro board, are those necessary and does it make power injection easier? Sorry for all the questions.

Jay.S

Full time elf
I am with Dan, unless you have massive distance between props I don't think you'll ever need a F48. 55ft is no distance at all. I don't have any experience with the F4, but one F16 will easily handle what you are trying to do with years of expansion room...

layzer1

New elf
Thank you all the feedback, you guys rock!!! Since you indicated not to go cheap with power supply, is there a particular type of power wire gauge/security wire/Ethernet cable to get and a good place to buy it from?

uncledan

Senior elf
Generous elf
I buy most of my wire from local Home Depot because its convenient. You can find some decent prices online as well. I've seen 18/3 white security cable on Amazon with Prime. I would avoid CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum), make sure the wire is copper.

layzer1

New elf
I buy most of my wire from local Home Depot because its convenient. You can find some decent prices online as well. I've seen 18/3 white security cable on Amazon with Prime. I would avoid CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum), make sure the wire is copper.
I see a lot of 18/4 security wire on Amazon that is cheaper than 18/3 security wire. Also, what gauge do you recommend for power injection? Assuming the power from the controller which is 18g will only go so far and using something thicker would be ideal. Would you recommend using distro board with PSU?

Bighorse_85

New elf
Im in the same boat as you Layzer1, i know what i want to do, but the wiring scares me out of it a bit especially with the multiple power supplies and inclusion of fuse board.

uncledan

Senior elf
Generous elf
I see a lot of 18/4 security wire on Amazon that is cheaper than 18/3 security wire. Also, what gauge do you recommend for power injection? Assuming the power from the controller which is 18g will only go so far and using something thicker would be ideal. Would you recommend using distro board with PSU?
18/4 works great for power and data from the controller as well as power injection. I double up the wires, red and white V+ and black and green for V- when using for power injection. I would definitely recommend using a distro board. 100% of my display is fused. There are calculators available that will help you determine voltage drop and what size of wire you need. https://www.da-share.com/calculators/cable-voltage-drop/

layzer1

New elf
18/4 works great for power and data from the controller as well as power injection. I double up the wires, red and white V+ and black and green for V- when using for power injection. I would definitely recommend using a distro board. 100% of my display is fused. There are calculators available that will help you determine voltage drop and what size of wire you need. https://www.da-share.com/calculators/cable-voltage-drop/
That's not a bad idea. When you double up the wire, does that translate into an 17g or 16g wire? Also, since I don't have lights yet, how would i determine determine the current draw in amps? What is the average watt per pixel assuming they're running at 50%?

uncledan

Senior elf
Generous elf

Robbo

Full time elf
Im in the same boat as you Layzer1, i know what i want to do, but the wiring scares me out of it a bit especially with the multiple power supplies and inclusion of fuse board.
It's not as scary as you think, I was the same when I first started and was very paranoid about electricity out in the open, it was all 240V running through the yard with extension cords etc trying to weatherproof connections was a bit nerve wrecking, now everything apart from the PSU's being low voltage, you still want to weather proof, but you can minimise how much 240v is exposed to the weather, my PSU's will be under cover so only low voltage lines will be running out into the yard