Noob Question regarding controllers

roush611

New elf
I am hoping to get into the pixel game Christmas 2015. I am starting to order some initial components as I learn a little better by playing with things and reading while I go. So far I have 1 strip of ws2811 12v pixels and a 360w 30a power supply. I am looking to order an e6804 and I am a confused as to what the difference is between assembled/tested and not assembled and tested? Can someone please explain? Thanks a bunch.

sfleck

New elf
i suspect the difference is a soldering iron and your ability/desire to apply heat and pressure to circuit boards.

i'm new too, and as confident as i am with heat, solder and circuit boards, i'm going to buy my first board assembled and tested. i know i will need more than one, so i might go for the unassembled kit and hope it tests OK afterwards.

cooper88

New elf
I built the Sandevices E682 kit and got it to work the first time. As long as you precisely follow the instruction and are familiar with soldering you should have not trouble at all.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
roush611 said:
I am looking to order an e6804 and I am a confused as to what the difference is between assembled/tested and not assembled and tested? Can someone please explain? Thanks a bunch.

You can buy the controller in a kit where you have to solder all the components on and test

or

You can buy the controller built and tested ready to use.

jcmarksafb

Hello from Christopher Creek Arizona
The E682 kit is excellent, but take your time and follow each step exactly. It might be better to invest in a built and tested board first as that will take some of the guess work out of things. Like is the board working right. Up to you and if you've built electronic kits before you should be able to build this kit withe ease.
John

lukekamp

New elf
I had never soldered before and took the plunge on a 682. It worked, however I wouldn't recommend it as your first soldering project!

Habbosrus

Back again
I bought 2 x e6804's as my first controllers in 2013. One was assembled and tested and the other was in kit form. I hadn't done any soldering before but wanted to have a go at it. The assembled and tested unit gave me a sample to ensure I was doing things correctly. It's the best thing I've done because it gave me a lot of confidence. I enjoy doing them now and have made another 3 for myself and 5 more for others.