Not Light related but possible help with plastic part ?

drakky

Senior elf
Hi Guys , this is not light related but I was wondering if someone with a 3D printer would be willing/able to print me some screw grommets for an old car ?
I can't seem to be able to locate them anywhere as the car is 50 years old and can't get the old ones out without cutting or breaking them as they seem to
be an interference fit once push in they're meant to stay till they fall apart . I don't own a 3d printer so know nothing about them but from all the things I see they can do quite a lot , I'm willing to pay for them and postage if someone could help out , I need a minimum of 8 but would like 16 to keep a spare set if possible attached is a drawing not to scale but is best I can work out without destroying the existing ones

thanks in advance
Matt

P.S. if it's easier to make them solid without the hole I can drill it

510 screw grommet.jpg
top view

Img_1346.jpg

bottom view

Img_1345.jpg

Last edited:

kevr

Full time elf
Generous elf
I'm sure there will be someone handy that can do these for you, I'm in NZ so it's a little tricky at the moment but if you get stuck let me know.

burnt

Full time elf
I've only printed in abs and pla , can send some to try out.

drakky

Senior elf
I've only printed in abs and pla , can send some to try out.
That would be awesome ! thanks so much , I don't know the difference between abs and pla but it's worth a try I'll message you my details to post , work out how much you want for them and add postage

scamper

Dedicated elf
I would try petg over pla, but haven't used abs, so not sure how that goes with pliability.

drakky

Senior elf
yeah saw some one in another forum said you can screw into petg

Dreamin

Full time elf
That looks more like a plug, so it's pushed into a hole by the look of your photo. PETG might not work, it's hard but can hold a slight flex. Rubber gets hard as it gets old. Would it have originally have been rubber? Maybe TPU would be better?

drakky

Senior elf
That looks more like a plug, so it's pushed into a hole by the look of your photo. PETG might not work, it's hard but can hold a slight flex. Rubber gets hard as it gets old. Would it have originally have been rubber? Maybe TPU would be better?
definitely not rubber some sort of plastic newer cars use nylon by the look for this part , whether age has caused it to be harder than it would have been originally I don't know , yes it's forced into the hole and a long screw goes into it for adjustment