Not sure how to connect a ray wu 12V power supply

roo

Full time elf
Hi,

Not sure what to do. I have just purchased a ray Wu 12V power supply and was told I could connect it with a purchased power cord. I went out and brought what I thought would work a 25m red yellow power cord. Which I found a label on it saying it was 10amp.

Now I was told by someone here that the wiring is L=active=brown mains wire. N=neutral=blue mains wire. E=earth=green/yellow mains wire. V- is the 0V line for controller. V+ is the 5v/12V/24V or whatever for your controller. The problem is I only have 3 wires in the powercord. How would I set it up and also for fuses would I just use a 10 amp fuse?

kind regards
roo

ShellNZ

Senior elf
You are talking about 2 different connections.

You need to firstly power the power supply. So yes, Brown = Live, Blue = Neutral and Green/Yellow = Earth. The other end should have a 3-prong plug on it. That goes into the wall. (not yet tho lol).

Then you get SPT wire (speaker wire) 16-18AWG. Its + and - wire. You put the +ve into one of the +ve ports of the Power supply, you put the -ve into the -ve port of the power supply. That then leads to the controller where you need to put the + and - wires where appropriate.

penguineer

Full time elf
Think of the PSU as a box that changes AC to DC.

AC(in) is the three wires in - usually on the RHS of the connector block - L/N/earth.

DC(out) is usually a set of connectors(often more than one pair) on the LHS of the connector block marked + and - that connect to the controllers/lights.

Gotta do the usual disclaimer - the AC part is dangerous and can hurt or kill.

Do you have an RCD power block or circuit to connect this up to?

Stay safe!

mborg10

Michael Borg
image.jpg
this is not a ray wu power supply, but basic principles still apply.
In the photo you can see the power cable going to the L N and ground. This is your AC (extension cord) this is the input and the other end connects to a standard power point.

The others are DC which connect to your controller and or lights. Only 2 wires needed. V+ & V-
Multiple connections given for ease of use.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
Using fork terminals and a good quality crimping tool will go a long way to making your connections safe and reliable.

Make sure you use the right size terminal for the wire (red for smaller wires, blue for larger wires, etc).

Using fork terminals will also help eliminate those stray wire strands (potential shorts) and means that all of the strands are carrying current. It's a better mechanical connection too.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
I use bootlace ferrules for my connections to power supplies and into boards which is why I added ferrules and crimpers into the 101 but haven't explained anywhere how/why to use them.

The vid below shows them being fitted and a brief explanation. I personally use some crimpers like the ones left on the bench.
bootlace ferrule crimper

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
As an electrician i cant officially condone unlicensed people working on 240v :-\

But being the hobby that it is then all i can do is promote the safety aspects and hazards of dealing with 240v :D

So please refer to the below link for some theory on the dangers of electricity and how to be safe. because the last thing i would ever want to hear about is a member being killed or injured due to working with 240v. :'(

http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php?topic=1223.0