Null Issues

David_K

Full time elf
Hi guys
Can anyone please tell me does a null pixel actually flash during the sequence? or should it be out and just passing data on if that is possible, as I am having problems setting up a null between zone 2 of a ECG_P2 controller and the first pixel of 300.

David_K

Full time elf
Thanks dale I thought as much. Ok I can make the null go out but it simply adds another after the 300th pixel even though there are 301 physical pixels. I have attached a pic of how I have the output set up on my Jsys if anyone can tell me how to set up the null. So obviously I have a null between the controller and the first pixel on universe 5. There are 300 pixels across universe 5-6.

Attachments

• null.jpg
    null.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 27

Boof63

Senior elf
The null should be listed in the effects config, and then added to total pix for that effect ,ie 2 nulls + 100 effect = 102. Total , but 2 are listed in the null entries,
Hope this helps
Cheers boof63

David_K

Full time elf
Thanks boof I am open to anything at the moment the whole show is being held up because I cannot sort this null problem. I find it a little harder as there are 300 pixels on the roof across two universes.

David_K

Full time elf
so in the example you give with 100 effect+ 2 null total 102 does this mean you have to have 102 in your string config even thought there is only 100 pixels ? because if the config and effects config dont agree they freeze up on me.

damona

Full time elf
[My understanding :-X ]

Lets say you have 10 pixels on an output.
Configure the controller to say you have 10 pixels on the output. (3x10 DMX Channels would be configured)
The control transmits 10 pixels worth of data.
Pixel 1, Reads its data, and transmits 9 pixels worth of data
Pixel 2, Reads its data, and transmits 8 pixels worth of data
Pixel 9, Reads its data, and transmits 1 pixels worth of data
Pixel 10, Reads its data, and does not transmit on anything as the data is used up.

NULL Pixel instructs the control to add OFF (0,0,0) instruction.

So lets change the example above to 1 NULL Pixel + 9 Pixels
Configure the controller to say you have 9 pixels on the output, and one NULL Pixel (3x9 DMX Channels would be configured)
The control transmits 10 pixels worth of data.
Pixel 1 (NULL Pixel), Reads its data, and transmits 9 pixels worth of data
Pixel 2, Reads its data, and transmits 8 pixels worth of data
Pixel 9, Reads its data, and transmits 1 pixels worth of data
Pixel 10, Reads its data, and does not transmit on anything as the data is used up.

Effectively the NULL Pixel is told to be off (0 Red, 0 Green, 0 Blue), then the reset of the date you expect to be sent is sent. NULL Pixel reduces the number of pixels available for use at the start of an output.

NULL Pixel Normal use, are used to extend the range of the data.

So you might have a 4 meter cable -> NULL Pixel -> 3 meter cable, 9 Pixels.

The other use for the NULL Pixel configuration option is you have 11 pixels on the string and you are only using the last 10.

David_K

Full time elf
Thanks for the input guys really appreciate it, I do understand how it works it is just that I am not sure how to implement it into the effects config. For example, on the roof there are 300 pixels plus one null at the beginning of the string (301 physical pixels) or between zone 2 of the controller and the first of 300 pixels.

As you can see in the screen capture I posted they are split across two universes #5- #6 150 pixels in each. If I set the effects config for example in #5a to start slot 1, pixel count 150, null=1 the null goes out but the first pixel in the next sections acts as part of the 300 before it so there is still 301 pixels working. I have tried many different settings but witout success.

I also have two nulls between universe #6-#7 and two between #7 and #8 but I have not got that far yet.

dale82

Senior elf
I think it's in the effects page on the j1 setup that it will give you the option to add a null in. You need to screenshot some of the other pages so we can have a look.

David_K

Full time elf
This is a shot of the string config, I dont have anything in the effects config as nothing seems to work
There is a null pixel between the contoller zone 2 and the fist pixel in act #5 another two between #6 and #7 and two beween #7 and #8.

Attachments

• null.jpg
    null.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 7