Nutcracker: What new effects would you like to see?

smeighan

Dedicated elf
Lets use this thread to accumulate effects you would like to see incorporated into The Nutcracker.

Best for me is if you include a video link and tell me the effect and the timing mark in the video.

thanks

angus40

Senior elf
Sean if you need ideas this video has many effects that would be great .
I would like to be able to use many of them .

Cheers
Richard

RGB Demo Tree

smeighan

Dedicated elf
yep, i have looked at many madrix videos. i will duplicate many of what i see there.

i need to gather them and prioritize them into a work list for myself

Henedce

Apprentice elf
What about some basic effects .. eg chases from left to right , up and down .
I love the full on effects but from a timing type sequence left to right and up down would come in handy

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
Henedce said:
I love the full on effects but from a timing type sequence left to right and up down would come in handy

You must not be using LSP I take it?

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
Henedce said:

I second this call for the basics, think i asked before for a simple effect builder that takes direction, start location, width, speed as inputs and maybe a delay factor to immitate the traditional fading tail seen on a old fashioned spin.

All the various Madrix effects can look spectacular but let's not forget the basic building blocks. In both posted videos they are just Madrix effects.

I do believe what Sean is creating is allowing us to go even further. Want counter rotating spirals, we don't need a new effect we just transparent paste one effect over the other.

Cheers
Phil

smeighan

Dedicated elf
AussiePhil said:
Henedce said:

I second this call for the basics, think i asked before for a simple effect builder that takes direction, start location, width, speed as inputs and maybe a delay factor to immitate the traditional fading tail seen on a old fashioned spin.

All the various Madrix effects can look spectacular but let's not forget the basic building blocks. In both posted videos they are just Madrix effects.

I do believe what Sean is creating is allowing us to go even further. Want counter rotating spirals, we don't need a new effect we just transparent paste one effect over the other.

Cheers
Phil

I have code almost ready for release where you
1) select effect 1, ex: spirals blah, blah
2) Select effect 2, ex: meteors with all those options

Now, new feature is give me the name of the two generated files.

Suppose your target is called MTREE, and the effects were called SPIRAL1 and METEOR1

New feature, layers:
File 1? MTREE+SPIRAL1
File 2? MTREE+METEOR1

When there is a collision on a pixel
How to handle collision? (1-3)
1) File 1 has precedence
2) File 2 has precedence
3) Blend the color to be the mix of both pixels

What is name of new effect? SPIRAL_METEOR

Now you will have a spiral AND a meteor effect.

This will open up the possibilities for so many combinations.

There is no effect on Madrix that i have seen that i probably could figure out. The question is where is the best use of my time. I want to the ability to sync effects in my animations to time. I still need to do movies, new target models keep coming up, produce a native lsp file, clean up the existing effects, .etc, .etc.

I throw in more effects because they are fun to program, things like coding an xml file for lsp with no documentation is not fun. it needs to get done though.

I started seriously coding on Feb 20th so we are about 2 months old on Nutcracker. I started prototyping it on January 16th. 4 -6 more months, i dont even know what Nutcracker is going to look like.,

it will be a fun year

G

GoofyGuy

Sean your a machine, Phil keep throwing stuff at him. The more information he has the more it benefits all of us on our voyage into pixels. I may never have a tree like you or Sean but I will surely enjoy what I can. Once again thanks for the work!

Al in Raleigh

New elf
Sean, the folks in my area have discussed something that you might want to consider implementing and that is to limit color sweeps to definable basic colors i.e. red, green, blue, and white. Having a color sweep that will not be yellow, orange, pink, or whatever is what I mean.

smeighan

Dedicated elf
Al in Raleigh said:
Sean, the folks in my area have discussed something that you might want to consider implementing and that is to limit color sweeps to definable basic colors i.e. red, green, blue, and white. Having a color sweep that will not be yellow, orange, pink, or whatever is what I mean.

Currently when i do a color sweep , i use the HSV values of 0-1, 0-1 and 0-1. When i pick colors between your start and end color i am picking in the HUE range. So you would want my color_picker routine to have steps in it. Pick colors between the start and the end but the only choices are R,G,B,W ? Would people want more than these 4 choices or would it be ok to say have the color pallet be 1) rainbow, 2) RGBW?

this can be done, is the two pallets all that i need?