OCD meets CLAP

Baf05

Full time elf
I am lucky(?) enough that my yard [SIZE=78%]is small, so I can have a very centralised control centre for my display.[/SIZE]

The need to fuse power wires and the desire to "neaten" things up, resulted in this...

SBSzFhxx-i7Z4xODlwm2JeG-VQlhMOaeRUUTndCRiA=w276-h207-p-no

I plan to add pigtails next to make connection a snap!

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Any chance of a bigger photo. I like to give wiring a once over to check things out.

Baf05

Full time elf
IMG_2010.JPG

actually that would be good, I would like someone who knows what he is doing to confirm I got it right.

I am thinking though that fusing a power wire on a P12 is redundant as the board has 7.5 amp fuses already?

AAH

Yeah it would depend on how you hook your pixels up as to whether the P12 is supplying the power or not.
My only concern would be the size of the wire from the power supplies to the fuse boards and ground points. There's nearly 60A of fuses on the boards so theoretically about 6mm2 of wire should be used. It's hard to tell from the photo but I'd hazard a guess that the wire you've used is 1mm or 2.5mm at the most. Other than that it's a pretty gorgeous looking build.

Baf05

Full time elf
i don't know the size of the wire, however the red wire is the type used for powerpoints, the black is the style used for lights.

But your suggesting I should ramp that up? Where can I source 6mm2 hook up wire from?

AAH

2.5mm2 is what is used for power points. 1mm2 or 1.5mm2 is used for lights. Doubling the wires up to 2 x 2.5mm2 is probably ample.

scamper

Dedicated elf
Baf05 said:
i don't know the size of the wire, however the red wire is the type used for powerpoints, the black is the style used for lights.

But your suggesting I should ramp that up? Where can I source 6mm2 hook up wire from?

For power points is OK as it is 240v. when you are doing low voltage, the cable needs to be bigger!

mararunr

Here to learn! (and share)
3505 NW Edgewood Ave, Bentonville Arkansas, USA
So I noticed you have the output grounds from all the power supplies except the one on the far left going to the same spot. Is there a reason why you did not bridge the output ground from the far left power supply to the other 4 power supplies output grounds?

AussieDoug

Full time elf
Same as post above, just missing a ground connection between the controller PSU and all the other PSUs.
Other then that it's very neat. I've used 6mm 80amp speaker cable from Supercheap Auto, to go from the PSUs to fuse boards. You will need the equivalent of the same size wire/wires to return the power through the grounds.

Baf05

Full time elf
I have not connected the boards to the ground point as its not required. ( that is to say that in initial testing it has not been but its an easy change if I need to)

The idea is that no power will be coming from the board, thus not needing them to grounded to the ground point.

In the interests of keeping every thing neat and colour coordinated I wont use speaker wire, but I will go to a few places today and see what I can find. At worst I will double the both the power and the ground wires.

I might also add, its not hard to do this when you have a small display, I am sure it would be almost impossible with some of the bigger displays I have seen!