On/Off (No Dimming) DC DMX Controllers

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
I was going to mention this in my other thread, but thought it warranted a separate one.

In my 2011 display, I had a couple of DC channels that needed to be switched on and off with no dimming. I ended up using some spare channels on a DC24 and made sure I never dimmed them. They were driving some meteor tubes via step-down regulators and dimming them would have resulted in high current draw and possible damage.

I can see that on/off would be good for some simple animated props with fans or motors, etc. Things that you want to control, but definitely not dim.

So, is there a need for a DC controller with pure on/off switching? How many channels? Does it need multiple voltage banks to make connection to your oddball display items easier? Comments? Ideas?

cenote

Suburbs of Philadelphia
Would love to see a board with higher current (bout 5-10amp per) but be able have multiple voltages for each channel. I been designing, mostly in my head, a way to control my low voltage lighting threw the yard, which uses AC volts multitap from 13-16v depending on runs. Any way of board not caring it it is AC/DC? Only need 8-12 channels

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
Not sure what you mean by "multiple voltages per channel" Chuck. If you mean each channel can have a different output voltage, maybe the other thread here is what you want?

The only (easy) way you can have a channel not care if the voltage is AC or DC is to use relays, but switching them on and off rapidly will wear them out in a short time.

I am looking at a (4 channel max) DMX controlled relay board for switching power supplies on and off each night. That thread is over here.

JonB256

Full time elf
David, I used a custom dimming table on my dc board and my ac board. They were 100 on down to 60% then went to off. Nothing in between.

Both were d-light boards using the new DMX firmware.

Any board that allows dimming tables could do it. LSP does it in software I think.