OO.com Led Merry Christmas sign

Tigion

New elf
want to convert this to dc these are the specs
input 240v AC 50hz
output 36v Max 15.6VA
Bulb Raiting 3v 20ma 0.06w
Total Wattage 14 w

there seems to be a controller that makes it shimmer if i cut it before controller will it still shimmer or will i still have just on and off

Attachments

• IMG_0290.JPG
    IMG_0290.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 49

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
Without seeing it I would guess that without the controller it will be steady on. 36V sounds like one of the newer switchmode (light weight) plugpacks which are DC.

Tigion

New elf
im so confused plugback DC ? it has a transformer maybe i should take more pics of it

Tigion

New elf
here we go

Attachments

• IMG_0532.JPG
    IMG_0532.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0533.JPG
    IMG_0533.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0534.JPG
    IMG_0534.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0536.JPG
    IMG_0536.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 21

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
Hmmm... 36V AC according to the plugpack (the ~ sign next to the 36V).

That's a potential issue as you may need 45V DC or so to drive them via a DC controller.

Probably not in the easily hackable category unfortunately.

scamper

Dedicated elf
second giveaway would be calling it 15.6va. the va (volt/amps) it the AC way of saying Watts (power)

i13

Dedicated elf
There is still another option. If you want to control it with DC you could use a relay and keep all of the original parts. This is an easy option but you won't be able to dim it, just on or off. Do not put the relay on the high voltage side.

It might still be possible (but not super easy) to convert.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
I wasn't sure if the OP wanted to control the sign in a more custom way or if on/off control all they want.

Using a relay driven from the output of a DC controller is certainly an option. Don't forget the diode in parallel with the relay coil (cathode to V+) to protect the controller output.

The other option is to control the plugpack with an AC controller, but the relay option would be safer. Either way don't go switching the sign on and off rapidly.

Kaden

Pixels! I need more pixels!
Why not put the relay after that AC power supply (where it is 35v) that way you can switch it as fast as you want (if this had a multifunction controller you could multiple relays, one for each channel)

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
Yeah, that's what I meant. Switch the 36V AC line. When I mentioned speed I meant you couldn't really switch it on and off many times per second as A) the relay contacts won't like it, and B) the MFC may not like it.

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
But if you're using a DC to control the relay for on/off and still using the AC power pack anf MFC to run the lights then this won't help alleviate the problems with the light shimmering mentioned by Tigion will it? Or am I misunderstanding something.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
The shimmering is a feature of the MFC by the sound of it. Only he can say whether he wants that effect of full control.