outline mounting conduit options chromatrim??

Bigwillystyle

New elf
Hey guys, was planning on getting conduit and drilling holes.. I just stumbled upon chromatrim.. I had head it mentioned but didn't realise what it was. is this stuff as good as it looks??

LawrenceDriveLights

Senior elf
I have used it, seems ok, holds the pixels well and easy to push pixels into.
You need to mount it to something like conduit to give it support etc.
We purchased black for a roof (roof is a dark charcoal) and white for the gutters and painted the Chromatrim the same colour of the gutter to help it blend it.

It is a lot faster than drilling holes in conduit thats for sure, but the conduit is a little neater.

You could prob see both types (conduit and chromatrim) on our 2019 behind the scenes walk around video

View: https://youtu.be/TZOonAMNjzo

LeighH

New elf
I went for the drilled conduit, Its a lot of work but I feel its the better option. I wanted my set up to look close to invisible during the day so I painted the conduit the same as bricks & tiles.. Was very lucky to have the wife help drill as I found it very tedious 4000 holes.
Maybe get a few length of chromatrim and do a comparison there isn't a wrong option.

Mark_M

Annoying Elf
ChromaTrim is corrugated plastic sheet with pre-cut holes in it.
It will produce straight and evenly spaced strip of lights.

Downside is ChromaTrim is not that good on it's own to mount. You'll likely need a frame still, like a conduit frame.

A member on here cuts and sells many corrugated plastic products and pixel mounting items.

My arches are 25mm conduit with holes drilled. It's time consuming and uneven, if you're able to spend the extra money it may be a time saver for you.

Bigwillystyle

New elf
yeah I was browsing extreme lighting looking for mounting strip for my verticals. I need to purchase a drill press, and being realistic I don't have lots of time so figured it's a faster way to achieve the same result.. in my latest design I'm not doing anything on the top of the roof. I actually need to jump in zoom with some pictures once I've got it drawn up and see what you guys think of my new idea. But essentially due to the viewing angle of my house (2 story up from the road) you really won't see the top of the roof stuff. so it's basically a risk vs reward kinda thing.. I figured focusing on the gutters and adding a virtual gable above my alfresco would give that look that I like without the need to be dangerous during installation..

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
my roof and garage outlines are chormatrim cable tied to conduit which is cable tied to cable tie mounts siliconed in place. Looks straight and didn't move all month.

bpratt

Senior elf
I'm trying to work out how to do the top part of the roof line, as my house is around 12-15m higher than the road, and the solar panels on that roof means I have to work out how to make the whole top line stand up high enough to be seen from the road, and not obstructed by the solar panels. :)