P12s - configuring DMX ports

dannyp

Full time elf
Can anyone help me with configuring the 2 DMX ports on my P12S? I can't find any information on configuring this screen.

Thanks
uzumapan.jpg

danozfw

New elf
YAGOONA LIGHTS said:
this is what I have my d4 set up as and also have used these settings on my p12s

Which firmware version are you using? According to the UBL Procedures document distributed with firmware version 3.2 "As of v3.2 the keep-alives are not activated. We will fix that in v3.3 after v3.2 has been wrung out in the field". Did I miss a firmware update?

dannyp

Full time elf
I have version 3.2 with a stack version (whatever that is) of 5.41.

I tried the settings as suggested but the LOR lights don't come on.

Just to reiterate my setup,

1 P12s which I can connect to via E1.31 and control the pixels. From this I then have plugged in a Cat6 to one of the DMX outputs. This is then connected into a little plug that I think I got from David to cross over the pins so the the signal gets converted from DMX to LOR protocol.

THe LOR is a CTB16d v5 one which I have updated the firmware to 4.32. The red light flashes slowly, but when I connect the cat6 it goes out if I use the little switch. If I bypass the little switch and just plug a Cat 6 straight from the DMX port to the LOR unit it continues to flash slowly.

The LOr unit has a unit I'd of 14 which the documentation says translates to a DMX of 305. This is my port ,config screen on p12s.

In LOR Network Config I have set up universe 305 to be on the IP address of the P12s. In LOR Sequence editor I have set up universe 305.

Can anyone suggest where I have gone wrong as I am stuck.

Many thanks

dannyp

Full time elf
Sorry but I should have said that the lights in the DMX outputs are orange. Also when I refer to bypassing the little switch I meant the plug that Ingot from David to do the conversion between DMX and LOR.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
DannyP said:
The LOR unit has a unit I'd of 14 which the documentation says translates to a DMX of 305.

The 305 is the start address, but has nothing to do with the universe number. DMX hardware like the LOR board has no concept of what a universe is. There are only channels 1 to 512. So, your LOR board is currently listening for 16 channels starting from 305.

The universe number is only relevant to DMX once it's part of an E1.31 (sACN) stream. This is so you can have multiple DMX universes on the same network. So to recap, the universe number is not related to the starting address.

On the sequencer software, you specify the DMX channel number (for the DMX controller's info) as well as the universe (for the E1.31 to DMX converter's info). In your case, the universe directs the data to the correct DMX outputs on the P12S, while the channel number(s) direct the channel data to the LOR controller.

On your current setup, the universe is 305 and there's nothing wrong with using that. If you set the LOR hardware to unit 1, it will respond to DMX channels 1 to 16. In the PC software, this will end up being universe 305, channels 1 to 16. Make sense?

dannyp

Full time elf
On your current setup, the universe is 305 and there's nothing wrong with using that. If you set the LOR hardware to unit 1, it will respond to DMX channels 1 to 16. In the PC software, this will end up being universe 305, channels 1 to 16. Make sense?

Firstly, thanks you very much for the informatiopn.

I THINK i undestand the first bits but this part still confuses me a bit. So with my current set up where the LOR unit is set to unit 4, I should change the address in the channel settings from 1 (as this unit is looking for channels 305-321) on universe 305? Alternatively, I change the unit id to 1 and use the channels of 1-16 but still on Universe 305?

As a second question, with 2 dmx outputs, does that mean that I can only control 2 LOR controllers or is there a way to still daisy chain additional ones down the line. So in the above example (using the unit id of 1), the first LOR controller is connected to one of the DMX outputs on the P12S and it gets its data by looking for channels 1-16 on univ 305. If I had a LOR Unit 2, daisy chained to LOR Unit 1 is it simply a case of setting the channel range of 17-32 within the sequence editor and this data would simply be sent down the line for Unit 2 to pick up? For unit id 3 use channels 33-48 etc up to a maximum of 512 channels?

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
DannyP said:

I THINK i understand the first bits but this part still confuses me a bit. So with my current set up where the LOR unit is set to unit 4, I should change the address in the channel settings from 1 (as this unit is looking for channels 305-321) on universe 305? Alternatively, I change the unit id to 1 and use the channels of 1-16 but still on Universe 305?

Yes, you can either change the LOR board ID to 1 (dmx channel 1) or change the channel setup in the PC software to match the current LOR hardware ID. (I'd change the LOR board to ID 1)

DannyP said:
As a second question, with 2 dmx outputs, does that mean that I can only control 2 LOR controllers or is there a way to still daisy chain additional ones down the line.

You can daisy chain LOR hardware, setting the ID of each unit differently so they are responding to different channel numbers.

The two DMX outputs on the P12S can be the same or different universes. Most people would set them to be different. They don't have to be consecutive universes either - they are quite independent.

DannyP said:
So in the above example (using the unit id of 1), the first LOR controller is connected to one of the DMX outputs on the P12S and it gets its data by looking for channels 1-16 on univ 305. If I had a LOR Unit 2, daisy chained to LOR Unit 1 is it simply a case of setting the channel range of 17-32 within the sequence editor and this data would simply be sent down the line for Unit 2 to pick up? For unit id 3 use channels 33-48 etc up to a maximum of 512 channels?

Exactly! :)