P12S intermittant connections

warsome

Wires? who needs wires!
HI all.

Got an annoying one, my P12S seems to be intermittent.
Basically it boots fine, and will runa test sequence fine (with toggle switch)
however 80% of the time after it reboots its not network contactable.

So, if I am pinging the unit ping 192.168.2.2 -t consistently.
after I push the reboot button, 2 seconds later I get maybe 6 replies before it goes to unreachable..

after about 5-6 reboots it stays up and running... (network reachable)

I don't want this issue during show time because if im away and we have a blackout then it wont work.

Any thoughts?

PS: I have changes no settings from last season, and it worked fine.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
Have you checked to make sure the Ethernet connector pins on the P12S aren't damaged?

Did you make the network cable or is it a store bought one?

warsome

Wires? who needs wires!
first thing I tried was a different cable.
I have crimped well over 10,000 times and did check the cable with a tester when it didn't work but then I tried with a standard car5 patch lead, and plugged it into a different router with a shielded telecommunications grade cat6 cable.

I also don't think its the pins on the P12S board because it does ping for 1 second when it boots, and after a few resets it starts working (by pressing the reset button and not touching the Ethernet cable at all)

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
I only ask about the CAT5 cables as split pairs can cause some really odd issues and they don't show up on a cheaper cable tester.

nzlongfellow

Dennis from NZ
For what it is worth, I spent 2 hours today trying to connect to my ECG-P12R. Couldn't connect at 10.10.10.30 and couldn't remember if I had changed the IP address so tried the factory reset to 10.10.10.10 with Dip SW 3,4 ON. Nothing. Also tried 1,2 ON as there are two different modes. Tried different leads again no good.
Got a second P12R and connected it up and pinged it straight away via 10.10.10.10 with Dip Sw 1,2 ON. That unit was powered with 5V.
Converted first one from 24V to 5V and it worked straight away. Reconverted it to 24V supply and slave 5V again and pinged it straight away. :)

I am none the wiser after 2 hours as the final configuration was exactly the same as when I started :(

Edit;Just remembered I changed my LAN to 10.10.10.1 somewhere in that process and I think that is what fixed the coms problem.

warsome

Wires? who needs wires!
Update:

I did a re-flash of the firmware and noticed a few thigns.

Firstly, it did not fix the issue. (it may have made it more unresponsive)

What I did notice is when I locked the unit in UBL mode, I was able to continue pinging it. I was able to upload the firmware, that all went fine.

however, after rebooting as soon as the UBL window is over the unit is unresponsive.
I also notice that just after the last ping reply, the LAN lights flash on the p12S (off and then back on) and after the port 'shuts down' it does not seem to take the next step and bring the interface back up.

Now I have gone from an intermittent issue to a permanent one.

EDIT: by setting the dip switch to 1100 (force 10.10.10.10) I am able to access the unit and it pings fine. (4-5 responses during first boot, then packet drop afte the UBL window, then pings return to working and unit is booted.
So it seems to be a issue with the IP configuration.

warsome

Wires? who needs wires!
UPDATE:

I have done everything I can think of to diagnose the problem and finally worked out that if I have the LOR control panel open this issue occurs... when I close the panel on my PC the unit is responsive..

the second I open the control panel then the unit goes offline...
my other p12R-s on the same network is not effected…

Any thoughts?

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
The LOR control panel starts up the CommsListener service which will be outputting empty E1.31 frames.

You must ensure you don't have two sources of E1.31 outputting to the same universes at the same time.