P5 Panel Banding Issue

Battle83

New elf
Trying to set up a simple 'tune-to' sign, but cant quite get it right.
Using 4 P5 panels 64x32 1/16scan rate with a Pi Zero and rPI-P10 Pi Hat from @AAH .
I've played around with the panel layout settings and seems pretty simple, using 2 ports from the hat, 2 panels each, but i've tried changing those settings anyway to no avail.

There's distinct banding where each row of 8 look normal, but i'm at my wits end. Any ideas?

Attachments

• 2021-07-27.png
    2021-07-27.png
    4.7 MB · Views: 9

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Could you share screen shots of your setup screens for the panels and input channels please? Most often its a setup issue that is to blame, but lets check and rule that out.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Trying to diagnose an issue with the butterfly effect is a nightmare. Use horizontal, vertical and diagonal lines or bars so that you can see where misalignment occurs.
With the butterfly it's very difficult to work out if there's inversion or mirroring or anything else going on.

Battle83

New elf
Trying to diagnose an issue with the butterfly effect is a nightmare. Use horizontal, vertical and diagonal lines or bars so that you can see where misalignment occurs.
With the butterfly it's very difficult to work out if there's inversion or mirroring or anything else going on.
Thanks for the tip - makes sense!

I've now done a single red band (full height) left to right, then a single green band top to bottom, then 'Merry Christmas' text scrolling left to right

LawrenceDriveLights

Senior elf
Can you also post a pic of your controller settings from xLights and if possible a photo of the back of the panels showing your connections (Just want to see if you have Universe size set to 512, as it defaults to 510)

Also did you make your own flat ribbon cables or used the ones supplied with your panels?

Battle83

New elf
Can you also post a pic of your controller settings from xLights and if possible a photo of the back of the panels showing your connections (Just want to see if you have Universe size set to 512, as it defaults to 510)

Also did you make your own flat ribbon cables or used the ones supplied with your panels?
Looks like they're set to 510 so i'll change to 512 and try again.
Using the ribbon cables that were supplied. I do have some spares, so could try those too.

dkulp

Full time elf
They really don't look like 1/16 scan. They are behaving like 1/8 scan with one of the interleaves. Not sure which on the Pi, maybe "Stripe"?

Battle83

New elf
They really don't look like 1/16 scan. They are behaving like 1/8 scan with one of the interleaves. Not sure which on the Pi, maybe "Stripe"?
Yep, you're right about them being 1/8 - i double checked and thats what they are. So i've changed that, along with all interleave option in the list.... its getting better, but still not right