photos of set up

strobe dave

New elf
Hi All,
being a complete newbie to RGB and very quickly becoming a addict, i was wondering if anyone had a picture of there set up from computer to lights. i am getting very confused with what is required from the computer to run all of the 10 x rgb strips i have. i know its not going to happen for me this year, but it seems to be taking me an age to understnud where everything connects up.
a picture tells a million words, and i seen most of the components in seperate pictures but would love to see some all together.
any help really appreciated.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
With all the possibilities, Christmas lights can get confusing. :eek:

What sort of RGB strip do you have? Is it 3 channel DC type or 2801/6803 pixel based?

strobe dave

New elf
hi, i have 10 x 5m rolls of dc rgb.
2x 2801

2 x 6803
all sitting here doing nothing at the moment, as a start i plan to use 1 rgb dc to practice with, but need some guidance on best set and what to purchase.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Welcome to ACL Dave, Its normal to feel confused at first, but all the pieces will fall into place.

There are a few critical items that go into making a show which are

1: Computer with software
2: Dongle or bridge which talks from the computer to the controllers
3: Controllers
4: Lights

So pretty much 4 main items go into making it work

If you havent already taken a look then take your time going through the learning centre there are videos, presentations and links to information that should help you understand

strobe dave

New elf
Many thanks,
i have watched all of the tutorials on video, i am now counting leds at night to go to sleep ha ha.
i will have a word with Ray who sold me the controller and ask him what dongle or bridge he can supply.

strobe dave

New elf
can i ask if a usb 485 from LOR will do the same thing as i have a LOR set that i have never used, as i want to go over to 12v RGB led's.
i have just read up on this USB 485 and it says the following.
The USB485 Serial Connector converts the short range Universal Serial Bus (USB) output of your computer into the industry standard, long range RS-485 protocol used by the Light-O-Rama data network. [font=arial, helvetica]Only one USB485 is required to operate an entire network of controllers[/font]
my only fear is that this is unique to LOR and will not work when connected to the a diffrent controller,
any thoughts appreciated.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Yes this comment is based on the LOR network which is different to a DMX network. On saying that it appears that the LOR dongle will also work as an open dmx dongle and give you 1 universe (512 channels) of DMX output

strobe dave

New elf
sounds like it could be worth giving a go then, but if i am using vixen software what would be the best plug in to use to set my profile.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
I would use the open DMX plugin if using the LOR dongle as this dongle should support the open DMX code