pi-pixel

SmartAlecLights

Im a SmartAlec what can i say!
Community project designer
Ive seen project over at DIYC go overboard.
thats the Raspberry PI having 2 outputs both capable of 1000 pixels so i have herd..
this is the output
https://www.crockettfantasyoflights.com/product/pixel-pihat-rev-b/

but if everyone knows me.. i like to do things cheap..
https://www.crockettfantasyoflights.com/product/pixel-pihat-rev-b/
I can do 2x ws2811 no fuse's for $3.
Im asking for a rough idea so i know how many that board’s to get made.
P.s. This is my 2016 giveback project, so let me know how many boards your interested in. (boards hopefully should be at all 2016 mini's for pickup) so cheap postage.
if i dont get support i will only get 60 made, that will go fast.. so help me to help you.

AussieDoug

Full time elf
I'll grab 5 please Alec, not sure what for but they sound like a price I can handle :)

Pick up from Melbourne mini.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
The Crockett PiHat doesn't use any level conversion ICs so the 3.3V logic of the Raspberry Pi is being sent out to the pixels. This means the unbuffered data is out in the real world and any damage done on the pixel line will potentially damage the Pi rather than a buffer IC. Also, because the data is 3.3V rather than 5V the distance that you can get from the board to the first pixel will be dramatically reduced. A null pixel will fix this and will bring the data back to the true 5V that it should be. Also, on the distance from board to pixel, there are no line resistors installed. In order to match impedances all pixel drive lines should have resistors (as per the pixel data sheets) installed. This is designed to stop electronic reflections in the signal line which can potentially damage either the pixel or the IC that is driving the pixel line.

SmartAlecLights

AAH said:
The Crockett PiHat doesn't use any level conversion ICs so the 3.3V logic of the Raspberry Pi is being sent out to the pixels. This means the unbuffered data is out in the real world and any damage done on the pixel line will potentially damage the Pi rather than a buffer IC. Also, because the data is 3.3V rather than 5V the distance that you can get from the board to the first pixel will be dramatically reduced. A null pixel will fix this and will bring the data back to the true 5V that it should be. Also, on the distance from board to pixel, there are no line resistors installed. In order to match impedances all pixel drive lines should have resistors (as per the pixel data sheets) installed. This is designed to stop electronic reflections in the signal line which can potentially damage either the pixel or the IC that is driving the pixel line.

I did think of adding the IC an resistors but that would increase the board size an therefore increasing the cost.
But like you said a null pixel can solve this issue (or pixels attached closely to the device)

Ive been thinking more (yer it hurts)
As most people like long distances from the controller, I will add the IC an resistors.
but it would boost the price up to $4 sadly,
but in the end it would be better for all

SmartAlecLights

The design is all done..
Just have to send it off to the board house now..
Perfect way to control pixels on a budget only $4 each.

11015115_1136370659707999_4210252801750747570_n.png

P.s. I also changed the name to 'Pixel-Pi' now

SmartAlecLights

Boards are sent to the board house..
Now the slow wait (1month) till i get them.. (one of the ways i keep costs down)
Then there will be 60 board (kits)

AussieDoug = 5 board (kits) (Melb mini)
DavidJ247 = 5 boards (built) (Melb mini)
Bjpc2716 = 5 boards (kits) (Adel mini)
Smartalec = 5 boards (kits)
CaptianMurdoch = 3 blank boards (American post)
Ron = 2 boards (built)
gerry = 5 boards (built) (Melb mini)
logandc99 = 5 boards (built) (Syd mini)
adski = 5 boards (kits) (Adel mini)
darylc = 5 boards (kits) (Adel mini)
BensChristmas = 2 boards (kits) (Syd mini)
Emersonlights = 5 boards (built) (Qld post)
robj = 5 boards (kits) (usa post)

Mini's Giveaway = 3 boards (built) (1 for each mini - Melb, Syd, Adel)

So that Now leaves 0 boards left for this batch,
I will also be stocking these in my Online Shop for future sales

(Its easy DIP Soldering, only 64 joins) - the 3 smd parts will be already soldered (by me)
but if you wish these to be completely soldered there will be a extra $1 cost per board

Please Note - This is only a Interest Thread an no-one will be held to there order

logandc99

Dedicated elf
I'll take 5 please (would prefer completed soldering for the extra $1 per board) pick up Sydney mini if possible.

adski

Dave Brown
Hey Alec ...... just to clarify,

It looks like you've omitted the RTC from the Crockett design, which prompts the question - is the board compatible with the common RTC modules that connect to the 1st 5 pins (1,3,5,7,9) of the GPIO header? The 2x20 socket could extend the pins through to the RTC board, but I see a clearance issue with the pixel connector, although I guess you could omit the connector and solder wires directly to those pads.

Assuming an RTC can be fitted, I'll take 5.

Dave

SmartAlecLights

adski said:
Hey Alec ...... just to clarify,

It looks like you've omitted the RTC from the Crockett design, which prompts the question - is the board compatible with the common RTC modules that connect to the 1st 5 pins (1,3,5,7,9) of the GPIO header? The 2x20 socket could extend the pins through to the RTC board, but I see a clearance issue with the pixel connector, although I guess you could omit the connector and solder wires directly to those pads.

Dave
never bothered with the RTC clock, but yes you could solder a extended pin header on for it. an yes it is compatible.
if i was'nt going to keep the project cheap i could of added it..
but i thought the use of the IC for longer distances would be a better feature than a clock

adski

Dave Brown
The clock's pretty-well essential for what I have in mind, but easily fitted, so I'll take 5. Thanks.

damo

New elf
I have a bad feeling that I'm a little too late to this conversation. Any left ?

SmartAlecLights

damo said:
I have a bad feeling that I'm a little too late to this conversation. Any left ?
it's still a group interest as the boards are still being made
still 10boards left