Pigtail Types

Russell7337

New elf
I am in the process of designing my first RBG pixel mega tree. 360 tree with 48 pixel strings 50 pixels each. When looking at the Ray Wu site I note that there are seemingly different types of pigtail connectors that can be Available on the ends of a string of pixel lights - (A) the Ray Wu connector, (B) the 13.5 connector, and (C) the xconnect. Are all of these interchangable or are they different? Is there standard or any one better than the other. I plan to order all I need initially from Ray Wu’s site but I live in the USA and would really prefer to order what would be readily available in the USA and not have to order from China every time I need a few components after the initial purchase. Any information anyone has is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

TerryK

Retired Elf
Hi Russel7337:

First, welcome to ACL. If you have not already done so, I suggest locating and downloading the 101 manual. There is also quite a bit of information in ACL's Wiki, Forum archives, and Media. These are all searchable ACL Chat is also quite active mostly during the Australian daylight hours but someone is typically there during the US daylight hours too. There are also a significant number of other Christmas lighting websites which have forum and learning sections.

Regarding connectors, here is a link that will help https://www.wiredwatts.com/learn-connectors . I use xConnect mostly because I asked on the ACL Chat and was nicely shoved in that direction (I'm still fairly new at this). Individuals do however use different connector types to help control their display wiring; helping keep mixed voltage displays from being destroyed for example. In my opinion, I do not think any particular connector is better than another. Also, they are mostly NOT interchangeable. It seems to be somewhat vendor specific but I have seen website documentation that for the same connector type, sometimes the wire colors differ.

There are US vendors. I mentioned Wired Watts, also are : Gilbert Engineering, Boscoyo Studio, Wally's Lights, Mattos Designs, and others.

bpratt

Senior elf
Connectors are totally up to you.

I've gone with Ray Wu pixels, so have made the choice to run all Ray Wu connectors.

Of course someone new in to the hobby can choose to go which ever way they want, and as you can see xConnect seems to be a more popular choice, and I believe Ray Wu will do those xConnect on his pixels now too.

Russell7337

New elf
I have also reached out to Ray Wu with this question. I will post what I learn from Ray Wu and my decision. Still welcome any comments in the mean time. Thanks!

Katekate

Senior elf
all the suppliers do all the connectors these days. Even if you want to order from someone in USA people like RGBMan do all the connectors too.

Russell7337

New elf
Thanks. The Ray Wu 13.5 connector is not comparable with the Xconnect. I see no real difference (pro’s / cons) between the two. I already quoted the Xconnect so that is what I will stick with. Thanks.

algerdes

Al Gerdes
Note that the xConnect design swapped the threaded portion and the nut between the male and female ends. xConnect has the threads on the male connector.