Pixel Connections

toodle_pipsky

Minister of Silly Walks
Hey guys,
Trying to wrap my head around the best way to connect pixel strings to each other and how to inject power. Searching around the forum there are some good general examples via diagrams, but I couldn't see (maybe because I'm blind) photos of what people have actually done. I'm doing a mega tree and possibly tracing gutter line, so any photos of your setup you can offer will be helpful.
Thanks! :)

kane

Dedicated elf
toodle_pipsky said:
Hey guys,
Trying to wrap my head around the best way to connect pixel strings to each other and how to inject power. Searching around the forum there are some good general examples via diagrams, but I couldn't see (maybe because I'm blind) photos of what people have actually done. I'm doing a mega tree and possibly tracing gutter line, so any photos of your setup you can offer will be helpful.
Thanks! :)
I myself use waterproof connectors from Ray - making it easy to disconnect.. Where power injection is required, I connect a 2-core connector in as well.
All of my pixel strings (actually, everything in my display) uses these types of connectors...

cwbotner

New elf
All;
I also would love to see a picture as does Toodle.
I understand the concept, but a picture is worth a thousand words.. So im told.. :)

kane

Dedicated elf
cwbotner said:
All;
I also would love to see a picture as does Toodle.
I understand the concept, but a picture is worth a thousand words.. So im told.. :)
Okay, here's some rough shots that may give you an idea. I am using a P2 to run 5x Candy Canes (output1) and my tune to sign (output2) In this situation, I will run a 10A cable from the garage out to this box, as well as Cat5 for the ethernet

The P2 controller is connected to this power, as are 3x 2-core waterproof connectors (the ones to the left), which are used for power injection (two for the candy canes, and 1 for the "tune to" sign)

Here's a quick photo of the enclosure, with the waterproof connectors coming out (2-core at the left, 3-core at the right, as these are 1804 modules which only need 3 wires - if you need a CLK line, you would use 4-core)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hszzeqfclpyc388/2012-09-20%2016.48.58.jpg?m

This is the back of my "Tune To" sign, which has a 3-core connector at the input end (which goes to the controller), and a 2-core at the output end, for power injection. In this situation, the sign is the only item on the output, so I don't need a "data out" from here.. If I did have something else after this output, I would also have a 3-core connector at that point
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1c3e4erk1uqoyx5/2012-09-20%2016.50.08.jpg?m

These aren't used on this controller, but here's a couple 1804 strings (100 nodes)- each have a 3-core connector at the start, ready for hooking up (for these strings, I've found power injection wasn't required, so nothing is connected at the "output" end)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1c3e4erk1uqoyx5/2012-09-20%2016.50.08.jpg?m

xyamom

New elf
Im New to RGB pixel stuff but just got in 1400 nodes of 2801 from ray Wu and tryed out cuple strands with rays dmx/2801 controller worked great. But I sat down all weekend soldering rays waterproof 4 pin cables on and my pixels dont seem to be working right now. I cut the first and last 7 pixels off to make 42 node strings. Is there anything special about first and last pixels? I was aslo planing on trying rays 4 pin "t" cable to inject power to the 5v stands.

Is there a step by step guide any where on how to use an ecg-p2 in light show pro 2.5?

kane

Dedicated elf
xyamom said:
Im New to RGB pixel stuff but just got in 1400 nodes of 2801 from ray Wu and tryed out cuple strands with rays dmx/2801 controller worked great. But I sat down all weekend soldering rays waterproof 4 pin cables on and my pixels dont seem to be working right now. I cut the first and last 7 pixels off to make 42 node strings. Is there anything special about first and last pixels? I was aslo planing on trying rays 4 pin "t" cable to inject power to the 5v stands.

Is there a step by step guide any where on how to use an ecg-p2 in light show pro 2.5?
No, nothing special about first and last pixels - each pixel thinks it is number one - when it receives data, it strips off the first 3 channels for itself, and sends the rest to the next pixel. Check out Dmoore's videos on the link below for info on this:
http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php/topic,1208.msg9940.html#msg9940
But one thing that is important is the "data in" and the "data out" - you must get this correct, otherwise things won't work.

In terms of why the pixels don't work now you've connected the waterproof connectors - I would firstly be checking that you've got the controller connected to the input (or "data in"). Next, ensure that you've wired the +ve, Gnd and Data (and clock if relevant) to the correct spots.. You should be able to check the "output" end with a multimeter, and the +v and gnd should register a voltage.

Unlikely that there will be a step by step guide for the ecg-P2 and LSP - but any information you find on either the PixAd8 or the P12R will apply - just with 2 outputs instead of 8 or 12.

Probably best you pop into chat at some point and someone can talk you through, but in a nutshell - first set the ecg-p2 to the universes you want to use. You can then use David_AVD's test utility (Da_131) to ensure that the Ecg-P2 is working with your pixels.. (so you can rule out LSP issues).. Once okay, you can setup LSP - you need to setup the e1.31 output, and then a controller.. You can then right-click the controller and choose "test controller" to do some tests from LSP.

xyamom

New elf
I'm thinking it might be a voltage drop issue but got frustrated with it last night. I'm testing them out with rays Dmx to 2801 in fun mode. I noticed I was only getting 4.2v at the controller. Off a highly regulated 300a 5v supply

xyamom

New elf
nope its 300amps rax 5-300k 1500w kepco psu...... got a great deal it in 2005 (100$) when i was going to do an idc cable matrix

but i think i figured out my issue, looks 4 pole extension cables i got from ray dont use a standard wire color code watch out have been ok if i cut one extension at a time, but i cut them all up so it was like a grab bag of mismatched wireing...... o joy this is going to be fun to trouble shoot

xyamom

New elf
just dont lick my mega tree flag pole if you stop down to check it out ;) might get welded to the pole, if any one has some free time could you make me a quick video on how to set up the ecg-p2 in light show pro. please :D