Pixel Controller Choice

DougieB

Full time elf
Hi all
Having finally decided to bite the bullet and get LSP. Now I have to choose controllers. Just chasing some advice before I commit to a pixel controller
Question 1: What are the advantages/disadvantages of multicast and unit cast?
Question 2: can not find any details on whether the 681 accepts unicast or not, any idea?
Question 3: with the different interfaces for configuring the controllers, what is the frequency that we actually need to configure/reconfigure the controllers?
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Doug
ps this site rocks. It has totally pushed my interest and commitment to christmas lights display. Only wish I had found it before I had committed to my first display.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
DougieB said:
Question 1: What are the advantages/disadvantages of multicast and unit cast?

For the scale of use that we have in our displays this really isnt an issue, multicast is easier to setup, unicast may have advantages when dealing with many controllers in a single E1.31 network. So not a decision maker for the average user

DougieB said:
Question 2: can not find any details on whether the 681 accepts unicast or not, any idea?

The E68x only uses multicast and does not have the ability to use unicast
The ECG series of controllers can do both multicast and unicast

DougieB said:
Question 3: with the different interfaces for configuring the controllers, what is the frequency that we actually need to configure/reconfigure the controllers?

Once a year if we change our system/setup around

The E68x uses a command based setup that requires you to put in commands to set up, so you will need the manual nearby if you cant remember the commands

The ECG series use a web config screen that contains drop boxes and options, This can be setup in most cases without referencing to the manual as you dont need to remember commands.

Personally for the money the ECG series is far better value when compared to a built E681.

For an assmebled and tested E681 which has 16 fused outputs spread over 4 universes and an ability to control 680 pixels for $180

compared to

For an assembled and tested ECG PR12 which has 12 fused outputs spread over 12 universe and an ability to control 2040 pixels for $170

There is more pixel support for the E681, but the PR12 will have support for the 3001 with dimming curves and this update is not to far from release. As far as GE string support the PR12 may have that support soon as well. Pixel support will only be a decision maker if your using a chip that is not supported by the PR12, but if you plan on using the 6803, 2801 or now even the 3001 chip then to me based on the comparison above there really is only one obvious choice.

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
Just a quick note on the GE support on the ECG series. I know Ed has this as a priority to add support for.

The 3001 support just needs final testing.

Ed will also be adding support for 2811, 2803 and 8913 series though I think he needs someone to send him some 8913 pixels
I'm about to send over some 2811 strip for him

In speaking with Ed I know he will attempt to support the various options but really would appreciate any request for protocol support also include some pixels so he can actually test the work

Cheers
Phil

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
I use pixad8's here, The thing I like about them is you can change the colour config of each pixel, some pixel strings from china dont always come as RGB, the last lot i got were GRB. Also the ability to setup Null pixels is a great feature also.
Having a web interface to change things is good as well

kane

Dedicated elf
Re: Re: Pixel Controller Choice

ѕυρєямαη said:
I use pixad8's here, The thing I like about them is you can change the colour config of each pixel, some pixel strings from china dont always come as RGB, the last lot i got were GRB. Also the ability to setup Null pixels is a great feature also.
Having a web interface to change things is good as well

Rgb reassignment and null pixels (plus reversing of strings etc) are also available on the e680/681

I also agree the web interface is nicer on ed's gear but you don't spend too much time configuring in reality

I used an e680 and a pixad8 last year and both all good. Building an e680 was good fun too as I hadn't built a kit since high school. Was really happy when it worked without a hitch and always good to be able to say you built a controller yourself

I have got a couple e681 kits and will have those available this year as well

DougieB

Full time elf
Thanks Guys
one more question, to go from 1.31 to DMX/LOR controllers I will need something along the line of DR4 (any other alternatives) and a modified network cable or AVD's LOR - ESTA DMX RJ45 Adapter and all will be good? Also am I able to go direct from switch to DR4?
I have read FE's 101 manual, just confirming my understanding.
Thanks again
Doug

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
Yes, that's pretty much it.

[Network Switch]---[DR4]---[DMX Controller]
---[DR4]---[APC745 Adapter]---[LOR Controller]

Timon

Apprentice elf
One thing I like about the E680/1 is that you can use it to drive DMX devices just by adding RS485 drivers. I suspect that Ed could do the same thing with just a simple programming addition. Ed already has the pixel extender which could drive the DMX. Being able to use one board for both pixels and native DMX is a real plus.

If Ed added DMX support I'd likely make a output board for it so you would not have to use the external pixel adapters unless Ed did one first. You'd be able to drive pixels or pDMX. Couple of things holding me back, the mounting hole layout and the connector Pin out between the two boards. Both easily determined if I get Ed's board.

Question, is the mounting hole patters published someplace. I'm hoping that it's based on a multiple of 1" so it would fit in the new CG-1500 and CG-500 cases.

DougieB

Full time elf
Awesome
Thanks for all the great assistance.
David (AVD)
do I need 2 APC745s if I go from DR4 to LOR to DMX? I know not a very efficient way of doing it, just yard setup as I have currently arranged it may need for this to happen.
Thanks again
Doug

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
DougieB said:
Awesome
Thanks for all the great assistance.
David (AVD)
do I need 2 APC745s if I go from DR4 to LOR to DMX? I know not a very efficient way of doing it, just yard setup as I have currently arranged it may need for this to happen.
Thanks again
Doug

Setting up this way you will need two APC745s, one between the DR4 and LOR board and the other between the LOR board and DMX board.

You wont need this for between LOR boards, only between LOR baords and DMX devices

DougieB

Full time elf
Thanks Eddy
your manual does explain all this, just like to confirm that I have interpreted correctly
Again
thanks
Doug

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
DougieB said:
Thanks Eddy
your manual does explain all this, just like to confirm that I have interpreted correctly
Again
thanks
Doug

Nothing wrong with asking question to confirm that you got it right, nothing I hate to see more than someone spending their hard earned cash on the wrong things.