Pixel controllers - local repair in Aus?

janastas

Full time elf
Hi All,

Unfortunately one of my pixel controllers seems to have an issue with the power input terminals and I'm not sure if anyone offers repairs of American built controllers in Australia.

It's for the Kulp K40DB-PB, there's a 5v power input terminal which seems to be faulty and doesn't power the board any more. (An yes I have tried several different 5v power supplies to check it wasn't my power supply)

I can still power the K40D-PB if I power directly to the pocket beagle via the micro usb port.

I've emailed Kulp lights directly but haven't heard anything back, mind you I emailed on Friday so wouldn't expect an email until probably tomorrow but exploring repair options locally.

@AAH - Any ideas about the above?

darylc

404 darylc not found
Generally for products you imported yourself you need to send them back for warranty. You might find someone locally like AAH who may be willing to try repairing it, but why not just power it via the micro usb port permanently?

janastas

Full time elf
Generally for products you imported yourself you need to send them back for warranty. You might find someone locally like AAH who may be willing to try repairing it, but why not just power it via the micro usb port permanently?

Yeah i was thinking about just the micro usb port for power but waiting for Kulp to email back and confirm that won't cause any long term issues.
Ideally I would like to get the the unit fixed so I can power it from the 5v terminals instead.

Will wait to hear back from Kulp and whether the ask me to send the unit back for repair.

TRAVISTY

Let's make smoke
I am happy to look at it. If you can’t return to supplier or find a local person.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
I'm also happy to have a look.
Can you post a pic of the terminal in question.

janastas

Full time elf
20210315_203839.jpg

Attachments

• 20210313_071204.jpg
    20210313_071204.jpg
    783.6 KB · Views: 26

TRAVISTY

Let's make smoke
I suspect something else is faulty. The connectors can be a bit funny sometimes. You can actually incorrectly terminate the wire when opening the connector.

i13

Dedicated elf
I think it might be possible to diagnose this yourself. Try checking for continuity between each screw terminal and the pin where it is soldered to the board. If that passes, try checking for continuity between the pins of the micro USB port and the pins of the screw terminals. I presume that these would be connected to each other. This should all be done without the board being powered on.

Where are you located? I'm in Canberra and happy to have a look at this if you're nearby.

janastas

Full time elf
I think it might be possible to diagnose this yourself. Try checking for continuity between each screw terminal and the pin where it is soldered to the board. If that passes, try checking for continuity between the pins of the micro USB port and the pins of the screw terminals. I presume that these would be connected to each other. This should all be done without the board being powered on.

Where are you located? I'm in Canberra and happy to have a look at this if you're nearby.

Continuitty checked between screw terminals and pin soldered to the board.

I haven't checked further than that as I'm waiting to hear back from Dan as to what I should be checking next.

TerryK

Retired Elf
Can you post a photo of the bottom of the board please? Specifically the area of the board where the terminals are soldered. Terminals require quite a bit of heat to solder correctly. It is not uncommon for them to have or develop cold solder joints.

janastas

Full time elf
that looks ok to me.

what is the actual problem you are experiencing? does it just not run from this input?

did it work then die? or was it DOA?

The K40D-PB is meant to be entirely powered from that 5V terminal.

It did work then it wouldn't power it from that 5V terminal anymore, as stated further up the post if you plug in via the pocket beagles micro USB port the whole device works fine.

The screw terminals were fiddly from day 1 as they didn't hold down the wires correctly and you really had to be pushed down on then turned for it to secure the wires correctly.

janastas

Full time elf
are you sure they are push down terminals? most of those you put the wire above and it pulls them up

Sorry yes you're right it does pull the wire up to secure them to the terminal.
What I'm saying is that when you use a screw driver to tighten the connection you have to apply quite a bit of pressure while turning for the terminal to pull up on the wire.

If you don't apply pressure on screw driver while turning the terminal doesn't pull the wire up.

i13

Dedicated elf
Maybe try powering the board by applying 5V to the soldered pins of the screw terminals. If that works then it would just need the screw terminals swapped out like Katekate suggested. You could also try powering it through the screw terminals (which doesn't work) and check whether there is 5V between their soldered pins.

This still wouldn't rule out the bad solder join possibility that TerryK mentioned.

janastas

Full time elf
Maybe try powering the board by applying 5V to the soldered pins of the screw terminals. If that works then it would just need the screw terminals swapped out like Katekate suggested.
Thanks I'll give this a try.

You could also try powering it through the screw terminals (which doesn't work) and check whether there is 5V between their soldered pins.
There's definately continuity between the screw terminals and the soldered pins.

This still wouldn't rule out the bad solder join possibility that TerryK mentioned.