Pixel Mega Tree Ideas- Will it work?

Steve22537

Full time elf
I've read a few threads on different forums that use standard 5/8" packing strapping as a medium to support RGD pixel strings to a Mega Tree. Using this method will allow you to have all the pixels facing in the same direction (outwards) and allow for accurate pixel spacing.

This is only an idea and I have no idea if it’s going to work, the problem most people have is finding a way to attach the pixel to the strapping. I also intend to use a different WS2801 pixel (wires exit from opposite ends) and the intention was to attach it using P Series staples, one either end of the pixel, and embedded slightly into the pixels silicon case.

The reason for the question “Will it work?” is just to see if anyone else has had success with this method or have had success with another method, I’m open to suggestions.

Steve22537 Pixel Fixing.jpg

Steve

Beacy

It's so much better on the dark side
If I have read it correctly you are planning to staple the pixel to the poly tape. If this is the case it will be a disaster. The tape will split/shred it tears length ways very easily. Ive got a string where the tape split and have been crossing my fingers I wouldnt lose it

Dave

Full time elf
The way i see it, the staple doesn't go through the tape it wraps around it.
Steve you might want to make 1 strand up and hang it outside for a month or two.

Dave

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
I don't know how either half would like it but I'd be tempted to use either a spot of hotmelt glue or if the melting of the tape is an issue use some neutral cure silicon. The acetic cure (smells like vinegar) goes off a lot faster but as it's acidic it can etch into anything metallic.

Steve22537

Full time elf
Thanks for the dialog earlier Beacy,

(16:50:38) Steve22537: Hi B, The staple wraps around the pixel as in the picture
(16:51:19) Beacy: Yeh but if they got through the strapping it gives it a "tear" point
(16:52:35) Steve22537: These are box staples that have a 25mm crown, so the tape sits between the staples pins.
(16:53:29) Beacy: so its more like a clamp than a staple?
(16:54:12) Steve22537: Correct, with a dob of heatglue under the pixels so it doesn't slide on the strapping.
(16:56:51) Beacy: Might work the only problem you may have is the fact that the pixel side is a lot heavier and gravity may spin the entire strip towards the ground. they would have to be very tight to stop that.
(16:58:59) Steve22537: The only solution to that problem would be to have a very strong hoop made of steel tube.

Dave - can I borrow your flag pole to test it on :)

Steve

Steve22537

Full time elf
I don't think the durability of the stapping will be much of a problem, as when I was researching the product I came across plenty of horific images of animals in the ocean and on land that had become entangled with the strapping, seals with strapping wrapped aroung there necks cutting into there flesh.

Steve

Beacy

It's so much better on the dark side
there is no doubt it will cut you to pieces it cut the hell out of me. When we get some reasonable temperature and I can start to take my tree down I'll take some pics of the damage to the tape so you may be able to work around it. The other option I saw on DIY was parachute cord as it doesn't stretch and has a very high break strength. it won't hold the pixels out but the tree they had was as good as Walter's.

Benslights

Dedicated elf
i agree we use this stuff at work but i would make up a sample strip to put out in the sun to see how it lasts in the long run as you do not want to do all that hard work and have it only last one season

Dave

Full time elf
You can loop it and use the plastic clamps to tighten it up.

Steve, yes, you can bring a string down and hang it up. Or we could just put a flg pole up in your front yard, Total cost approx $100. Great base for a mega tree! :D

Dave

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
I strongly recommend against using any flag poles for a mega tree. generally these poles are only 0.8 to 1 mm aluminium wall thickness and are sectional and these will fail due to fatigue and the stresses applied from guy ropes. These will fail at the sectional joins which are the weakest point.

How do I know this, from experience.

It is better to get a full length 3mm wall aluminium pole or a 2.4mm Galvanised steel pole and the cost is about the same. Prices on transport can vary greatly from $10 to $88, but the price of a 3mm wall 50 OD aluminium 6.5 metre pole is $55 and the price for a 2.4mm wall 50mm OD 6.5 metre Galvanised pipe is $45

So in the end when you look at the price for a flag pole and its weaknesses compared to that of a single length decent walled 50mm OD aluminium or galvanised pole then it really is a no brainer to go with something that will work and not collapse due to fatigue because all it ever was designed for was to cary a flag.

So save yourself some heart ache and invest in something that will last instead of cheap thin wall aluminium flag poles that will be lucky to last any length of time in any strong winds.

toodle_pipsky

Minister of Silly Walks
Just thought I would give my experience with the packing strap. This is exactly how I did my tree this year - flat pixel with packing tape. My experience was that the pixels made the strap "top heavy" and ended up twisting the strap inwards. To counter act this we tightened the straps as much as possible as well as make 3 loops to go close to the top, the middle and bottom of the tree to keep the straps facing out. This doesn't work the best either. Next year I don't think we will even bother with the tape . . . .

mborg10

Michael Borg
After making my first mega tree this year out of led strings. Which looked great. I'm now looking at making it a pixel tree for next year. My idea was to attach the lights to wire with hooks on each end which can handle the tension to make them straight but would not keep the lights facing out wards. I thought about the packing tape but worried about how long it would last and after reading this thread have decided that's out. Have we got a successful solution.

As for the pole, I can't comment on cost as it was laying around my dads work, but I used 50od fiberglass pipe. It's very strong and lightweight. Works great.

I put a pulley system on top to raise and lower the head, this worked good but the lights I used were crappy cheap copper ones from china and just got tangled together. Still looks impressive though.

JuxiZoza

New elf
toodle_pipsky said:
My experience was that the pixels made the strap "top heavy" and ended up twisting the strap inwards. To counter act this we tightened the straps as much as possible as well as make 3 loops to go close to the top, the middle and bottom of the tree to keep the straps facing out. This doesn't work the best either. Next year I don't think we will even bother with the tape . . . .
Not sure what you mean by made "3 loops", but Walter Monkhouse built an extravagant RGB mega-tree (see http://www.magicchristmasnews.org/building_a_colormotions_tree_sm.pdf) and used a simple method to keep them facing out. He did a basket weave of some strapping horizontally around the tree. Explanation and pictures on page 25 of above pdf. With very little additional work, you may be able to save the effort you have already put into your project.