Pixel Megatree

tuppetsdad

Funding & Tech Support
For the Melb Mini will demo a megatree running with some of MPH's pixels strings. Have a half size version under construction for test. Thought you might like to look.

Coolaroo Cross Umbrella base ($20) takes 50mm dia pole and is intended to be weighed down with 4 x 400mm x 400mm concrete pavers (not in the pics). Stand legs fold up nicely to put away.

Base.gif

Top is frame from a 300mm dia hanging basket which Tuppet actually needs for another project

Top.gif

Pole is a 32mm diameter aluminium pool cleaning extension pole ($50). Can extend from 8' to 16'. Surprisingly stiff and will test for general use for our Megatrees this year. Needed to fit a couple of plumbing fitting adaptors to match the pole diameter to the base diameter for $3 each.

Lower ring is made from 16mm aluminium strip.

To check the concept (and because our ceiling is not 16' high) have installed a few pixels strings to show how this can fit together. The strings are doubled over so effective vertical length is 2m. The base ring is 1.3m so for 16 pixel strings (32 vertical sections) would give a spacing of approx 130mm between strings at the bottom. Height of Tree is 8'

Tree.gif

For a real megatree we could use 32 strings without doubling them up. Then would have:

Tree Height 4.66 m
Base diameter 2 m
Space between pixels strings at base 0.2 m
Height of base ring above ground 0.3 m

Probably add a few guy ropes as well as the pavers for stability but very quick to install. Pool pole enables other fittings to clip on the top so thinking to adapt a fitting for a star.[/attach]

tuppetsdad

Funding & Tech Support
OK so had to assemble and give a try -

Threaded half a pixel string over the top ring and attached the two ends to the bottom ring with cable ties. Then just plug in the 16 cables to E16 and ready to run.

Assemled.gif

Plugged in an works first time!!

Treeon.gif

easy peasy :D

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Very nice looking mini mega tree, you should be able to get some great effects from that.
I took a different approach to my tree and instead made a spiral tree, its only 2.1 metres high and has 200 pixels (100 for each spiral) so not a big tree but with 2 spirals it can get some great effects.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
My spiral tree is a physical spiral tree, thats why i get away with using only 200 pixels. Im sure with some effort you could sequence it in software with a tradition pixel mega tree, or else you could use some extra pixel strings to also create the spiral for your tree

dmoore

Senior elf
Fasteddy said:
My spiral tree is a physical spiral tree, thats why i get away with using only 200 pixels. Im sure with some effort you could sequence it in software with a tradition pixel mega tree, or else you could use some extra pixel strings to also create the spiral for your tree
Oh how I await Object Oriented Sequencing - this would make the process of turning a "straight" pixel string tree into a spiral with almost no effort.

mrpackethead

Full time elf
dmoore said:
Fasteddy said:
Oh how I await Object Oriented Sequencing - this would make the process of turning a "straight" pixel string tree into a spiral with almost no effort.

Im not waiting for OOS. I've got it now. The scripting engine in Madrix, allows for the "programming" of all sorts of things, including time cued "sequencing".. Its not without effort of course.

dmoore

Senior elf
mrpackethead said:
Im not waiting for OOS. I've got it now. The scripting engine in Madrix, allows for the "programming" of all sorts of things, including time cued "sequencing".. Its not without effort of course.
Excellent! How much does it cost? Can I also tweak the sequence "on the grid"? Will it require programming or scripts? Does it have built-in abilities to handle the "tight" sequencing such as comes out of SuperStar Lights or is it more light organ type output because I can do that today with video transitions for $89?
Thanks!
David

mrpackethead

Full time elf
dmoore said:
mrpackethead said:

Ironiclly David, you probably already know the answers to these questions, but for the benefit of everyone else..

Excellent! How much does it cost?

Anywhere between US$420 and US$6000, depending on the number of channels you are going to control

Can I also tweak the sequence "on the grid"?

The concept of the time based grid is'nt one that translates into OOS very well. Theres a cue list, which is the closest thing. Ie at 1minute 10 seconds, 13 frames do 'X'

Will it require programming or scripts?

Yes, its programmed, using C type functions which are called. Its not easy, but then the results are spectuactualar. You know what they say, "no pain, no gain"

Does it have built-in abilities to handle the "tight" sequencing such as comes out of SuperStar Lights

I think that this example * ( albeit not christmas lights ) shows you how "tight" and smart it gets. Look at 1:00 - 1:20 at the drop tubes. In fact it was from these guys i've learned how to pull this trickery off.

http://www.youtube.com/user/inoageDOTcom#p/u/1/SsqnM_r2bQY

or is it more light organ type output because I can do that today with video transitions for $89?

Of course you can make madrix produce so called "light organ" effects. Thats just one of the many things it does. But that would be exploting about 1% of what its capable of.

Thanks!
David

dmoore

Senior elf
mrpackethead said:
Ironiclly David, you probably already know the answers to these questions, but for the benefit of everyone else..
Since it sounds like you are pretty experienced with this - it would be wonderful if you could possibly produce video(s) showing step-by-step, how members of our community could use Madrix to perform these operations?
I've seen a number of "results" videos about Madrix but nothing really on how to, start to finish, setup madrix to sequence for a Christmas display using pixels and non-pixel devices. Maybe this would help to disspell the myth that Madrix is a "color organ" style sequencing application and help others with another option for sequencing their displays.
Thanks for the information!
David

mrpackethead

Full time elf

Just putting things back on track. I'm not waiting for OOS, i've got it and using it now. And all the whining in the world won't change that David. You can choose to accept that or not. its that simple.

TimW

Full time elf
I think that this example * ( albeit not christmas lights ) shows you how "tight" and smart it gets. Look at 1:00 - 1:20 at the drop tubes. In fact it was from these guys i've learned how to pull this trickery off.

http://www.youtube.com/user/inoageDOTcom#p/u/1/SsqnM_r2bQY

Very impressive. Love the 3d effect of drop tubes.

Not sure my christmas display door and bar take will justify the investment this year though!!! (although I liked some of the crowd.... does RGB attract them... or is it the recreational drugs? (put your hands in the air!!!... 8) ))

But a pool rod, inverted hanging basket, an aluminium strip and a few pixels... that is a different matter... much more in my ballpark!

tuppetsdad

Funding & Tech Support
So you see Tim we actually are using our pool poles and umbrella bases with pavers this year for our mega trees....stay tuned for our pixel creation.////

Attachments

• MegaTree1.gif
    MegaTree1.gif
    262.7 KB · Views: 54
  • Tree-Base.gif
    Tree-Base.gif
    146.2 KB · Views: 53