pixel node matrix Vs strip matrix

lizardking

IT IS STILL ALL BENS FAULT
hi all this will be the first matrix i am building
now the decision is do i get 12mm nodes and poke them through something or do i use strip and mount them to something viewing distance can be as little as 2m or from the other side of the road can i ask those who have built a matrix from either sting or strip what they found better for viewing at a lose sort of distance and no my brain wont cope with p10 panels yet

thanks adam

andrewa

Full time elf
I built a Pixel node Matrix, 10 cm spacing 2 years ago. found that the spacing was too far apart, so modified it to 5cm spacing last year.

Made with webbing straps. Hole Punched and eyelets punched in.

Much better viewing resolution the closes the pixels are together.
Matrix front.jpg

Matrix Back.jpg

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
P10 panels are actually remarkably easy to use and sequence with. Sealing them from the weather, if required, is the biggest issue. Because they are 10mm pitch they do gobble up lots of channels but that's not a huge problem.
I knocked my matrix together in little over half an hour and then spent the best part of 2 days working on a bug/quirk with xlights. The material I used was about $3 worth of plaster batten that I had lying around and 12 self drilling screws.

Attachments

• P10 matrix.jpg
    P10 matrix.jpg
    484 KB · Views: 146

scamper

Dedicated elf
I would have thought that nodes would be best just because the standard strips at say 30 l/m you control 3 led's at once. I assume you can get different ones, but then the price would be a lot higher.
Someone can correct me if I am wrong as I have not built a matrix myself but am planning something for this year.

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Isn't 5v strip pixels per led rather than blocks of 3?

I was thinking of the same thing Adam, for a matrix for 2016 and wasn't sure to use strip or P10s. Personally P10s look to be much easier to construct a matrix. Pixel nodes would be good to replace dud pixels instead of an entire panel however. Pros and cons for all types I guess

Chicken Little

New elf
lizardking(adam) said:
scamper said:
I would have thought that nodes would be best just because the standard strips at say 30 l/m you control 3 led's at once. I assume you can get different ones, but then the price would be a lot higher.
Someone can correct me if I am wrong as I have not built a matrix myself but am planning something for this year.
i was looking at this strip 30pm and 30 ic per m so each pixels is 33.3333333mm apart
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/5m-30LEDs-m-DC5V-addressable-WS2812B-led-pixel-strip-waterproof-in-silicon-tube-30pcs-WS2812B-M/701799_32356282826.html

I agree with the Adam - single led/IC at 33mm intervals. Been looking at a matrix for my balcony railing (0.6m x 10m) - yes 10m. Current thoughts are to use strips given the long length and also maximise no pxls/m vs $$$.

Ease of assembly also major factor. Don't fancy drilling 5000 holes in pvc or straps to mount nodes. Looking at using aviary wire [url]http://www.bunnings.com.au/whites-wires-90cm-x-12-x-12-x-0-7mm-x-10m-small-bird-aviary-mesh_p3069982]http://www.bunnings.com.au/whites-wires-90cm-x-12-x-12-x-0-7mm-x-10m-small-bird-aviary-mesh_p3069982 on a timber frame to mount strip. All going well, a 10mm wide strip will fit snug in the 12mm gaps of the mesh. Even better, if I can weave the strip in and out of the mesh - no need for cable ties!

Mount the strip in every 3rd row of mesh and the strips are separated by 36mm at led centres (close enough to 33.33 to look even).

Chicken Little

ozstickman

New elf
My wife wants a matrix now too. What have I done! Secretly I want one too. Strip looks the goods for large scale.

Habbosrus

Back again
Chicken Little said:
lizardking(adam) said:
scamper said:
i was looking at this strip 30pm and 30 ic per m so each pixels is 33.3333333mm apart
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/5m-30LEDs-m-DC5V-addressable-WS2812B-led-pixel-strip-waterproof-in-silicon-tube-30pcs-WS2812B-M/701799_32356282826.html

I agree with the Adam - single led/IC at 33mm intervals. Been looking at a matrix for my balcony railing (0.6m x 10m) - yes 10m. Current thoughts are to use strips given the long length and also maximise no pxls/m vs $$$.

Ease of assembly also major factor. Don't fancy drilling 5000 holes in pvc or straps to mount nodes. Looking at using aviary wire ]http://www.bunnings.com.au/whites-wires-90cm-x-12-x-12-x-0-7mm-x-10m-small-bird-aviary-mesh_p3069982]http://www.bunnings.com.au/whites-wires-90cm-x-12-x-12-x-0-7mm-x-10m-small-bird-aviary-mesh_p3069982 on a timber frame to mount strip. All going well, a 10mm wide strip will fit snug in the 12mm gaps of the mesh. Even better, if I can weave the strip in and out of the mesh - no need for cable ties!

Mount the strip in every 3rd row of mesh and the strips are separated by 36mm at led centres (close enough to 33.33 to look even).

Chicken Little

That's exactly how I built my matrix. I have 40 strips of ws2812b x 2.5mtrs long. Looked great. The mesh idea works fantastic. You wouldn't be able to feed the strip through the mesh to weave it with end caps on though. I cable tied mine and it worked a treat. I took all my lights down today except for the matrix. I plan to do something for Aussie Day.
I'm happy to take photos of my matrix (mesh, frame, strip, etc) for anybody that's interested.

ozstickman

New elf
Habbosrus said:
Chicken Little said:
lizardking(adam) said:
scamper said:

Ease of assembly also major factor. Don't fancy drilling 5000 holes in pvc or straps to mount nodes. Looking at using aviary wire ]http://www.bunnings.com.au/whites-wires-90cm-x-12-x-12-x-0-7mm-x-10m-small-bird-aviary-mesh_p3069982]http://www.bunnings.com.au/whites-wires-90cm-x-12-x-12-x-0-7mm-x-10m-small-bird-aviary-mesh_p3069982 on a timber frame to mount strip. All going well, a 10mm wide strip will fit snug in the 12mm gaps of the mesh. Even better, if I can weave the strip in and out of the mesh - no need for cable ties!

Chicken Little

That's exactly how I built my matrix. I have 40 strips of ws2812b x 2.5mtrs long. Looked great. The mesh idea works fantastic. You wouldn't be able to feed the strip through the mesh to weave it with end caps on though. I cable tied mine and it worked a treat. I took all my lights down today except for the matrix. I plan to do something for Aussie Day.
I'm happy to take photos of my matrix (mesh, frame, strip, etc) for anybody that's interested.
Snap away. I'd like to have a go at one.

Habbosrus

Back again
Here's a few from construction mode earlier in the year. Even got the young bloke to help me for a while! I didn't get too many while it was in action but will try to get some over the next couple of weeks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    316.3 KB · Views: 145
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    316.6 KB · Views: 155
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 163
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    302.9 KB · Views: 148

Chicken Little

New elf
Thanks Habbosrus. Pics confirm that's the way I'll go. I will also give some thought to a modular/panel construction design (like a P10) so it can be added too in the future (and also dismantled/stored).

I also reckon this could be a good option for those considering a roof top matrix? plenty of space for the wind to pass thru - maybe.

JPB

Full time elf
+1 on the thanks Habbosrus. I think i will be making two tall skinny ones for the pillars either side of my garage door. 2.4m high, two bricks wide.

ozstickman

New elf
Thanks Habbosrus. I've got a large area beneath my house for a matrix. As i live in a queenslander and im sure you have seen how they have a kinda fence around under it.

StuartW

Apprentice elf
Hi Adam

This is the strip I used on my mega tree you saw.
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/5m-DC12V-WS2812B-addressable-pixel-strip-waterproof-in-silicon-tube-30pcs-WS2812B-M-with-30pixels-36W/701799_32313871852.html
I got some time over xmas to use Logan's Star Wars Funk sequence (a good reason to use Xlights ;) ) it turned out really good and everyone was impressed with it and I think it was because the images were so sharp due to each pixel being controlled not groups of three. I suffered no power problems even though the power supplies were not near the tree, but they aren't cheap so I guess everything is a trade off between price and convenience. I just don't know if I would want to attach every single node to a matrix but I guess it depends on how big it's going to be.

I think I'm going to order some P10 panels in the next couple of weeks just to see how much work is involved so I will let you know how I go.

Stuart