1. New to Christmas lighting? Get started with the AusChristmasLighting 101 Manual:
    auschristmaslighting.com/wiki/AusChristmasLighting-101

Pixel protection injection

Discussion in 'RGB Lights - Intelligent Pixels and 3-Channel RGB' started by jediknight2, Aug 7, 2013.

1. jediknight2

jediknight2 Full Time Elf

I have about 700 of these http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/DC12V-input-WS2811-pixel-node-100pcs-a-string-injection-molding-type/701799_722405450.html from Ray. I LOVE them and they worked great last year. As I have said in previous posts I had 2 pixel failures after they went up. Only one of which required a repair. I did an inspection of my pixels and some do show some signs of water intrusion past the LED/Silicone jacket. I know that some silicones are acidic and I don't want to harm the board or put something in there that would attack the led prongs. However, I do want to do something to protect the pixel. So my options are

1-Inject each pixel with a non acidic silicone using a meat syringe.

2-Inject each pixel with dielectric grease using a meat syringe.

3-Use silicone to seal the edge where the LED meets the silicone jacket.

The problem with #1 is I have read of heat build up issues, not sure if this would be a problem with our boards as they don't really give off a lot of heat.

#2, I can see the pixel getting hot and the grease oozing out of the hole used to inject it and getting on the roof and everything else. Of course I could go between the jacket and LED to inject.

#3, only downside I can see is maybe distorting the color if I'm not careful applying the silicone. Maybe yellowing of the silicone?

2. Beefer

Beefer Apprentice Elf

Find Me On:
    This is a known problem with this particular type of pixel node which was addressed by a new type of pixel, epoxy filled ones: http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/led-pixel-node-WS2801-DC5V-input-IP68-50pcs-a-string/701799_722405738.html which does seem to behave a lot better (as long as the little circuit board and chip are positioned correctly deep inside the epoxy).

Well, I think this is one of those suck-it-and-see situations - give each one a try and see what happens :)

A failure rate of two pixels is pretty good in anyone's language, but IMHO, option 3 would be the best using a good quality silicone.

3. papa

papa New Elf

4. ShellNZ

ShellNZ Senior Elf

Find Me On:
    I also purchased a heap of these last year jedi, heaps have failed, I was slicing and dicing everywhere :(

I think I got 3 strings (300). I tested them a couple of months ago and there are still some bad ones in the bunch but I cant be bothered slicing anymore :(

5. OP
    OP
    jediknight2

I am going to use silicone around the LED to seal it up. That is the only failure point I have seen. I like the technicolor...but they are 15 bux extra a string and that adds up quick with the shipping.

What's your solution Shell...

6. ShellNZ

ShellNZ Senior Elf

Find Me On:
    Find a happy place and imagine they are working perfectly :)

7. danozfw

danozfw New Elf

There is a group buy going on,check out Technicolor Christmas on Facebook. They are estimating $30 US per string.

8. Dave H

Dave H Apprentice Elf

But what is the cost of the failure rates that people are experiencing??

Technicolor may be the answer, but they haven't gone a season yet in actual use, like the concept though

9. Winney

Winney Is it time to start decorating?

Too bad heat shrink doesn't come in clear

10. logandc99

logandc99 Dedicated Elf

Find Me On:
    Heat shrink does come in clear but I've only had it in those multi-packs where you get different diameters and colours( black, red and clear)

11. kane

kane Dedicated Elf

Find Me On:
    Agree 100% - even just the time spent fixing dodgy pixels (and potential accidents climbing up ladders to do so) is worth a bit extra.

It will be interesting to see how they go. I know Zach has done a heap of testing, so hopefully that pays off

12. Boof63

Boof63 Senior Elf Generous Elf

13. OP
    OP
    jediknight2

I am going to start off using silicone around the rubber jacket where it goes around the LED. I am going to then take a rag soaked in 303 and just wipe down the entire string to put a UV coat on it. The silicone should be good enough. If it doesn't hold up or work I will buy covers for next year.

If I can get a hold of Ray and change my order for this year, I am going to spring for the technicolor pixels spaced at 5-6"

14. OP
    OP
    jediknight2

I think I stumbled upon something perfect from another thread on here. Rubber dip, A.K.A Plasti-Dip. Comes in a Clear UV sprayable format. I can just lay the pixels out and give them a spray over the top and that should seal everything up nicely! A gallon is like 50 bux...but that should last me quite a while

15. Beefer

Beefer Apprentice Elf

Find Me On:
    Cool - I'm going to be painting my car in that stuff!! matte-black... It looks awesome, didn't know it came in clear - should work very well.