Pixel protection injection

jediknight2

Full time elf
I have about 700 of these http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/DC12V-input-WS2811-pixel-node-100pcs-a-string-injection-molding-type/701799_722405450.html from Ray. I LOVE them and they worked great last year. As I have said in previous posts I had 2 pixel failures after they went up. Only one of which required a repair. I did an inspection of my pixels and some do show some signs of water intrusion past the LED/Silicone jacket. I know that some silicones are acidic and I don't want to harm the board or put something in there that would attack the led prongs. However, I do want to do something to protect the pixel. So my options are

1-Inject each pixel with a non acidic silicone using a meat syringe.

2-Inject each pixel with dielectric grease using a meat syringe.

3-Use silicone to seal the edge where the LED meets the silicone jacket.

The problem with #1 is I have read of heat build up issues, not sure if this would be a problem with our boards as they don't really give off a lot of heat.

#2, I can see the pixel getting hot and the grease oozing out of the hole used to inject it and getting on the roof and everything else. Of course I could go between the jacket and LED to inject.

#3, only downside I can see is maybe distorting the color if I'm not careful applying the silicone. Maybe yellowing of the silicone?

Beefer

Apprentice elf
This is a known problem with this particular type of pixel node which was addressed by a new type of pixel, epoxy filled ones: http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/led-pixel-node-WS2801-DC5V-input-IP68-50pcs-a-string/701799_722405738.html which does seem to behave a lot better (as long as the little circuit board and chip are positioned correctly deep inside the epoxy).

Well, I think this is one of those suck-it-and-see situations - give each one a try and see what happens :)

A failure rate of two pixels is pretty good in anyone's language, but IMHO, option 3 would be the best using a good quality silicone.

papa

New elf

ShellNZ

Senior elf
I also purchased a heap of these last year jedi, heaps have failed, I was slicing and dicing everywhere :(

I think I got 3 strings (300). I tested them a couple of months ago and there are still some bad ones in the bunch but I cant be bothered slicing anymore :(

jediknight2

Full time elf
I am going to use silicone around the LED to seal it up. That is the only failure point I have seen. I like the technicolor...but they are 15 bux extra a string and that adds up quick with the shipping.

What's your solution Shell...

danozfw

New elf
jediknight2 said:
I am going to use silicone around the LED to seal it up. That is the only failure point I have seen. I like the technicolor...but they are 15 bux extra a string and that adds up quick with the shipping.

What's your solution Shell...

There is a group buy going on,check out Technicolor Christmas on Facebook. They are estimating $30 US per string.

Dave H

Apprentice elf
jediknight2 said:

But what is the cost of the failure rates that people are experiencing??

Technicolor may be the answer, but they haven't gone a season yet in actual use, like the concept though

logandc99

Dedicated elf
Heat shrink does come in clear but I've only had it in those multi-packs where you get different diameters and colours( black, red and clear)

kane

Dedicated elf
Dave H said:
But what is the cost of the failure rates that people are experiencing??
Agree 100% - even just the time spent fixing dodgy pixels (and potential accidents climbing up ladders to do so) is worth a bit extra.

Dave H said:
Technicolor may be the answer, but they haven't gone a season yet in actual use, like the concept though

It will be interesting to see how they go. I know Zach has done a heap of testing, so hopefully that pays off

jediknight2

Full time elf
I am going to start off using silicone around the rubber jacket where it goes around the LED. I am going to then take a rag soaked in 303 and just wipe down the entire string to put a UV coat on it. The silicone should be good enough. If it doesn't hold up or work I will buy covers for next year.

If I can get a hold of Ray and change my order for this year, I am going to spring for the technicolor pixels spaced at 5-6"

jediknight2

Full time elf
I think I stumbled upon something perfect from another thread on here. Rubber dip, A.K.A Plasti-Dip. Comes in a Clear UV sprayable format. I can just lay the pixels out and give them a spray over the top and that should seal everything up nicely! A gallon is like 50 bux...but that should last me quite a while

Beefer

Apprentice elf
Cool - I'm going to be painting my car in that stuff!! matte-black... It looks awesome, didn't know it came in clear - should work very well.