Pixel tree, 16 x 50

rob3

New elf
Hi, I’m starting my 16 x 50 (2” spacing) the build. I’m considering using a 6 foot mini trampoline for the base as I can pickup one for free on Marketplace. Whats the best way to secure the pole with the least chance of killing the lawn with a large footprint base? It cant be a permanent sleeve in the ground as I haven’t finalized the location. Also I’m assuming as it’s not that big I won’t need a winch?

KHill9314

New elf
I had a tree with similar specs to that last year, I got away with a larger diameter PVC pipe as the "trunk" of my tree sitting over a tall star picket that was driven into the ground. With some guy lines from the tree topper down, it was solid as a rock.

rob3

New elf
I had a tree with similar specs to that last year, I got away with a larger diameter PVC pipe as the "trunk" of my tree sitting over a tall star picket that was driven into the ground. With some guy lines from the tree topper down, it was solid as a rock.
Do you have any photos? What did you use for the topper and base?

Chrisekert

New elf
I used an acrow prop from hardware store, then created a concrete base which i set the bolts in it. Then I use guide wires to secure it in place. 2 years high winds no issues at all and can adjust height if required for expansion.

KHill9314

New elf
Do you have any photos? What did you use for the topper and base?

I didn't get any photos sorry, topper was an end off of a plastic cable drum with eye bolts, had to make a uhmw adapted so it could fit on the PVC.

No base on mine, I just marked a 1500 diameter circle on the grass and used screw anchors to tether the strings to. Did the job but will look at a base next near.

HertzSwift

Apprentice elf
I definitely wouldn't recommended PVC as your centre pole, unless it 100% protected from any winds. The whole tree turns in, pretty much a sail when the wind catches it! And anything out of PVC would just snap or bend.

My centre pole is made out of galvanized steel, it's held up for two seasons and shows no visbale signs of fatigue. For my pole base, I made a square box out of MDF, 35xm x 35cm x 15cm bolted a flange to the inside bottom and screwed in a 1.2m section of galvanized pole. I then filled the box with concrete and spray painted it black. It has a small foot print, is very heavy, and has eyelets in the corners to I can secure it to the ground for extra stability.

scamper

Dedicated elf
Anyone else using PVC for the pole and base?
I agree with @HertzSwift Pvc would not be strong enough. I made a base using 40mm x 6mm flat bar and bent it into a circle, then welded 4 cross braces with a square in the middle for the pole to slip over and even that is no good. It flexes way too much. I have been on the lookout for a round trampoline base but haven't come across one in my area yet

rob3

New elf
I agree with @HertzSwift Pvc would not be strong enough. I made a base using 40mm x 6mm flat bar and bent it into a circle, then welded 4 cross braces with a square in the middle for the pole to slip over and even that is no good. It flexes way too much. I have been on the lookout for a round trampoline base but haven't come across one in my area yet
How about your pole?

scamper

Dedicated elf
How about your pole?
I have 3 pvc sleeves concreted in my yard, the first one was in the lawn (which I haven't used in a few years and probably couldn't find again) the other 2 I have caps on them in the off season and then cover with dirt. They are the perfect size to slip an old galv water pipe into.

HertzSwift

Apprentice elf
How about your pole?

My centre pole is made out of two pieces of 50mm galvanized pipe, connected together via a coupler. It makes take down and storage a breeze, the only issue, and fortunately it hasn't happened to me yet, but the coupler is a weak point, if the wind was strong enough, it could possibly break first at that spot. But my tree is anchored with long screw in pegs and supported by 3 guide-wires and it has faced 75km gusts and I haven't had any issues.

scamper

Dedicated elf
My centre pole is made out of two pieces of 50mm galvanized pipe, connected together via a coupler. It makes take down and storage a breeze, the only issue, and fortunately it hasn't happened to me yet, but the coupler is a weak point, if the wind was strong enough, it could possibly break first at that spot. But my tree is anchored with long screw in pegs and supported by 3 guide-wires and it has faced 75km gusts and I haven't had any issues.
My pole is 2 pieces of steel, first is a water pipe which slides into the pvc sleeve and then a side off an old square jumbo trampoline which slides perfectly inside that. I lift it up and bung a tech screw into it at the right height.

forgekeeper

New elf
I am using this setup however (http://www.magicchristmas.org/uploads/3/4/6/9/34698654/asap_jr_.pdf) it is very windy where I am so I am using an 8ft diameter Bale feeder 1675462197042.png as the base and cut off the top portion (I will use the top for a spinner prop or similar round prop) on the bottom I am using 4- 5 ft 1" black pipe and a 4 way T. Securing with 18" screw in tie downs and sand bags on the inside. Believe me very robust setup and going nowhere due to wind.

forgekeeper

New elf
My Mistake 5 way 1/1/4" T 1 inch pipes are connected with reducers and center pole is 1 1/4" black pipe. originally had a 5 way 1" T but center pole on a 1 1/4 to 1 " reducer did not work well.