Pixel tree - First timer

rob3

New elf
Im looking to purchase a pixel tree. Im thinking 8 strands of 50 nodes, 180 degrees. There are so many options out there I would really appreciate some help to get me started on a budget. If I purchased the pixels from Aliexpress can I use them with any controller? What software is the easiest to use (preferably pre programmed sequences to choose from)? What controller would people recommend?

Notenoughlights

400,000+ twinkly lights
Pixels, typically are the ws2811 variety and more commonly being used are the GS8208 for their backup data line. Voltage, 5v or 12v is really up to you. 5v requires more power injection, the pixels usually are cheaper. 12v requires less power injection, the pixels are a little more expensive.

Controller wise, I would suggest the HE123 Mk2 from @AAH webstore https://www.hansonelectronics.com.au/product/he123mk2/
it does require the purchase of a Beaglebone Black or Green board to run, and if you plan to use FPP v6 you will need to buy a license to use the outputs, Fpp versions 5 and below don't require this, so it could be a good starting point. If this is not something you see yourself being able to work out how to get going, Falcon and Advatek make great controllers, but the prices for those are higher than the HE123mk2 setup, and offer a little more simplicity.

rob3

New elf
Sorry for the silly question, whats FPP and is it something Thats purchased?

Notenoughlights

400,000+ twinkly lights
Falcon player (AKA Falcon Pi Player for the fact it was used on raspberry Pi's) is an operating system designed around running light shows.

The releases button on the right hand side of that window will take you to where you can download the installation files.

Here is the manual for using the software https://falconchristmas.github.io/FPP_Manual(5.0).pdf

All 100% free to download, however Version 6 and above will require a license key to activate outputs for more than 50 channels if you wish to drive lights directly from the board running FPP. It will remain free for use for things like LED panels, and being a show player running the sequences sending out data.

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
Hey Rob, welcome to ACL and the world of pixels.
Where abouts are you located? Members here are from all over, and sometimes it helps to see some of the kit first hand before making purchases so you can see how it fits together and make the most informed decision.

rob3

New elf
Im located in Melbourne. Already some very useful information, thank you.

The HE123 sounds good. Is it compatible with Ray Wu Pixels? Do I need pigtails to connect the pixels to the board?

rob3

New elf
Do you think 8 strings by 50 pixels is sufficient for the 180 degree tree or would 16 strings be better?

KiwiPhil

Full time elf
8 isnt a lot for a pixel tree, 16 is much more effective, but you can run any amount (personally I use 20x100 @ 1" space) but you can kind of build it to any configuration you like

rob3

New elf
Using the HE123 and a Beaglebox Green can i run my sequences without a computer? That is can I load it only the BBG and run it without a computer attached?

Notenoughlights

400,000+ twinkly lights
Using the HE123 and a Beaglebox Green can i run my sequences without a computer? That is can I load it only the BBG and run it without a computer attached?
You can do that yes. You would create your sequence and upload it, you are then able to use the web interface to set schedules and create playlists to run your sequences.

Snicko

Apprentice elf
Where abouts in Melbourne are you?
There are a fair few of us here

Best way is to see someones display for a behind the scenes tour.

It was my first year this year, i used two HE123Mk2's from Alan and a Raspberry Pi to "Run" the show and control the two HE123Mk2s from @AAH
I had a 32 x 150 megatree that was about 5.5m High

I wouldnt consider 8 x 50... Would not be very tall or have enough pixel density, 16 or 24 strings would be much beter.

Watch lots of you tube videos!

rob3

New elf
Order has been placed for the HE123 and BBG. Now to get the pixels from Ray Wu. Any suggestions on a star topper?

rob3

New elf
Where abouts in Melbourne are you?
There are a fair few of us here

Best way is to see someones display for a behind the scenes tour.

It was my first year this year, i used two HE123Mk2's from Alan and a Raspberry Pi to "Run" the show and control the two HE123Mk2s from @AAH
I had a 32 x 150 megatree that was about 5.5m High

I wouldnt consider 8 x 50... Would not be very tall or have enough pixel density, 16 or 24 strings would be much beter.

Watch lots of you tube videos!
Hi Snicko, im in Bentleigh East. Where about are you? Big tree, got any photos or videos of it running?