Answered Pixel Wiring Advice

Dave_Szoka

Full time elf
Morning

I'm currently trying to convert some large Solar powered white Garden Balls to pixels
Led Ball.jpg
I have gotten some WS2811 PCD boards
Led Pixels.jpg

My question is.... I want to mount 2 of these per ball... now I would like to know if i can split the Data coming in so they are both just 1 pixel..

Now I know I can use my F16v3 and just do grouping / virtual strings But i'm hoping there would be away to avoid this
Could I split the Data coming in to the start of both pixels but then only come out of 1

Thank you brains trust

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
You "shouldn't" have any trouble doing this. If you are running longer distances between "pixels" then it might present a problem but if under 10m from F16 and less than 3-5m between pixels you should get away with it.

Dave_Szoka

Full time elf
You "shouldn't" have any trouble doing this. If you are running longer distances between "pixels" then it might present a problem but if under 10m from F16 and less than 3-5m between pixels you should get away with it.

Thanks Alan

Maybe I should add some null pixel buffers to help.... now where can I get those

Dave_Szoka

Full time elf
Why not use Dumb RGBs?

Hey DJ

That would mean 12x 4 core cable runs back to my controller....

Plus during the off session these will be in my garden running off a PI

If I can’t make to it work, I’ll just go with one

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Hey DJ

That would mean 12x 4 core cable runs back to my controller....

Plus during the off session these will be in my garden running off a PI

If I can’t make to it work, I’ll just go with one
ah ok, makes sense

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Thanks Alan

Maybe I should add some null pixel buffers to help.... now where can I get those
I would suck it and see whether you need them. Easy to add after you've knocked a couple up to try. Link on my signature to my website and I have lots of the nulls in stock. They will definitely allow you to drive into 2 parallel pixels.

Dave_Szoka

Full time elf
Well I kinda went another way.. I needed to order some more bits from ray so also order some 3w 2811 leds.... 1 of those per large ball ... much easier