Pixels and f48 control board pulsing?

BurgerFromMars

New elf
I have a Falcon f48 differential controller hooked up with a Falcon smart reciever. These are being powered by a cheap power supply (12v 20a) that has been stepped down to 5v (specifically 5.2v because that's what I heard is best)
These are currently powering 5v ws2811 pixel string with the plan to power 12v versions in the future.

So everything plugs in and turns on fine. We're running firmware 2.55 on the f48. The issue comes when I start a test mode; I put the lights all red for example, and after a period of time the whole setup begins pulsing, it kind of looks like the f48 loses power for a microsecond and comes back on. The lights also pulse a little brighter when this happens. It continues to do this faster and faster until I get concerned and turn it off.

Changing power supplies doesn't seem to affect it (although I haven't tried powering through a 5v power supply through the barrel connector)

And I've made 200% sure that the power supply is putting out 5v and that the positive and neutral are wired up correctly.

Does anyone have any advice? Is my only option to get an actual 5v 8+amp power supply?

BurgerFromMars

New elf
Sounds like the DC converter is going into thermal limiting. A lot of them are total rubbish quality / specs.

So my solution is to get a different ac/dc converter? Should I use a proper 5v 8a power supply instead of stepping down 12v?

scamper

Dedicated elf
I agree, I have used buck converters in the past and they never seem to be rated high enough.
I had one working, well within it's limits, and I went out to check a set of lights nearby and felt the converter and it was so hot I could not touch it.
I decided then and there to throw them in the bin and use 5v supplies where required.