Pixels on an exploding star

wirekat

New elf
Oh great minds please lend a hand.

I have a four layer exploding star and I want to use pixels on it.
This star will top my 16 smart strip flat tree.

Anyone done this type of wire frame with pixels before?

The largest star is 58" across.

I could do LED rope or EL wire but I really want to do pixels (dumb).

Thanks!

battle79

Full time elf
I got my brother to weld up a star for me. As you can see in photos in the link below, I have 3 stars and 10 starburst arms.

This is wired with each star being a loop and then the arms go from the middle out and then the data goes back to the middle for the next arm. This allows me to set up each star as its own group of pixels and to set the arms up as a 10 strand mega tree.

Limitations are only your imagination. I have not thought of too many effects that I can't create with this setup.

Hope that helps some.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B88gHa1-utIcSnZzeFowMi1BVXM&usp=sharing

https://vimeo.com/user16687095

Regards,
Rowan

lizardking

IT IS STILL ALL BENS FAULT
i chose to use pixel nodes on my star 11 nodes on each of the 8 spokes i used 2811 , 12mm pixel nodes from Ray Wu

Attachments

• 2015-03-25 21.00.20.jpg
    2015-03-25 21.00.20.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 30
  • 2015-03-25 21.00.00.jpg
    2015-03-25 21.00.00.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 22

kane

Dedicated elf
I did similar to Adam - but went a little overboard, and did 10 spokes on each of the three I built, and used 60 Led/Metre strip.. Meant they were really bright (probably too bright, to be honest), and meant more grunt required to sequence (due to a heap of channels).

There was a trick someone posted a while ago which made sequencing much easier - you set the 10 spokes up as a matrix (with the top of the matrix being the "inside" end of each spoke) Then, you can do effects across the matrix. For example, a horizontal line going down the matrix means you get fireworks exploding. Or a vertical line moving horizontally across means you get each spoke light up and it spins, etc.. It does mean "whole of house" effects aren't accurate (as the model doesn't match the item), but I didn't find that a problem.

Cheers

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
Nice tip Kane,

That just made modelling the element I was going to do so much easier.

I had a 16 vertical 2M (2811 strip) high tree that was getting converted into a 16 spoke star for the roof.