Pixels (Probably not WS2811) -- Challenge for Pixel Detectives

eurbani

Lights at Lowes Island
Hello,

I recently acquired some pixels that were portrayed as WS2811 pixels.

I already have WS2811 pixels and controllers for them. This is what I know. Can anyone tell me what kind of pixels these might be.

Physical - 12mm pixels, Each pixel has a control board and a chip, wires are red, green and white.

Connection - I confirmed that the input for the pixels is on the IC side (unlike the WS2811 chips that I have). White is ground (-), Red is 5VDC, Green is data.

Behavior - When connected to a WS2811 controller

Channel 1, Pixel 1, color pulsing redChannel 2, Pixel 1, color red with dim pulsing greenChannel 3, Pixel 1, color greenChannel 4, Pixel 1, color pulsing blue
Channel 5, Pixel 1, color dim blue AND Pixel 2, color dim pulsing red
Channel 6, Pixel 2, color redChannel 7, Pixel 2, color pulsing greenChannel 8, Pixel 2, color green with dim blueChannel 9, Pixel 2, color blueChannel 10, Pixel 3, color pulsing red...

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Testing - I used the diode tester on my multimeter and read these values (voltage drop, I guess)

no chip side
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]
Green Red White

Green 0.742 1.51
Red 1.4 1.38
White 0.634 0.525

[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]
chip side
Green Red White
Green 1 1
Red 1 1.58
White 1 0.522

[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]OK detectives. What kind of Pixels are these? I know that they are not WS2801 because each pixel has 3 inputs and 3 outputs. Any ideas? Is there anything that I can test to determine what I have? [/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Things that I have[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- WS2801 controller (5V) [/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- WS2811 controller (5V)[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- Mulitmeter[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- Various power supplies[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- DMX cross-over cable[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- LOR USB485[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- LOR S3 software[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif](I have other things, but I think that these are the most useful to help figure this out.)[/font]

[/font]

eurbani

Lights at Lowes Island
David_AVD said:
Maybe cut one open and check what's written in the chip?

Great idea!

Here is a photo. I can clearly make out LPD

I can't make out the numbers. Is there anything besides an LPD 6803?

Has anyone here ever connected a 6803 string to a WS2811 controller? What happened? Do LPD 6803 strings have 3 wires?

Pixels%20Cropped.JPG

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
Not enough pins for 2801 or 6803. 2811 is a likely candidate. I've sliced the silicone off pixels before to get a better look at the chip text.

eurbani

Lights at Lowes Island
David_AVD said:
Not enough pins for 2801 or 6803. 2811 is a likely candidate. I've sliced the silicone off pixels before to get a better look at the chip text.

Thanks David. I'm pretty sure it isn't a WS2811. I have some experience with those and this one doesn't function like a WS2811.

I found this [SIZE=78%]http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/wiki/index.php?title=Pixel_Wiring_Colors[/SIZE] and it seems that WS2811, TM1804 and TM1809 are the only ones that use three wires.

eurbani

Lights at Lowes Island
I am being told that they at LPD1886. That seems to match up with the label on the chip.

Question is.. "WTF is LPD1886?" :)