Pixels,,, viewing distance?

Pyrotech

New elf
These comments are based on viewing videos.

I'm wondering if it is the case that pixel strings eg, fireflies need to be viewed from a greater distance than other forms of lighting. Some videos of say mega trees, taped at quite close range do not, to my eye, seem as appealing. The phenomenal patterns and changes can not be denied, but should the larger pixels be up front in a display?

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
I find with the RGB pixel strings and especially the strip work great from any distance, my house seems as bright either being in front or looking from 1km away, the light intensity doesnt seem to fade with distance.

Pyrotech

New elf
Ah not light intensity, I'm talking about a smooth discernible pattern, I think that article agrees with me to a point, Fireflies and the like are a "high pitch" pixel, like a jpg blown up. So a matrix etc close up is not effective, setting it back 10 yards might improve the visual effect.

To quote "You would determine what pixel pitch you need by defining the minimum viewing distance (MVD). The MVD is the closest you can get to the screen before the pixels start appearing as dots. Each LED giant screen manufacturer has its own method on how to calculate the MVD of a screen. There is not an absolute answer, because each one of us has a different eye's perception. A fairly precise and easy way to calculate the MVD would be converting the pixel pitch into distance. For example, a maxi-screen with 10mm pitch has a MVD of 10m, while a 20mm pitch screen has a MVD of 20m."

So what is the MVD of a firefli string?

Even some of the arches I've seen with pixels, (admittedly probably zoomed) seem far less effective that the incandescent ones.

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
This is something that should be considered when working at a pixel level, I know that my Megatree looks better 50M to 100M back up the road when displaying some of the intricate patterns i have.

I'm seriously considering swapping the two trees around next year to place the pixel tree a little further away, though that causes other issues... oh well.

After quite a few nights watching the tree it's quite apparent what works at close range and what doesn't.

Phil

dmoore

Senior elf
AussiePhil said:
This is something that should be considered when working at a pixel level, I know that my Megatree looks better 50M to 100M back up the road when displaying some of the intricate patterns i have.

This is an interesting subject. Having converted from a 45k all incan display on 150 channels last year, I've gotten comments that my display isn't as "energetic" as last years and it's less "Christmas" like. Oddly enough they love the snowfall lights and the laser but they are somewhat so-so on the RGB. Part of it is that this years display is clearly not as well sequenced as last years, mainly because it's nearly impossible to sequence that many lights. It's also clear that it's nearly impossible to do even simple things like multi-color chases (fasica/borders), twinkling (LSP) and so on. This simple fading back and forth using videos just isn't quite good enough to stay with the music - my display looks more like a kids 3rd grade production of the wizard of oz than a professional and well choreographed Broadway show - cute but just not professional.

It seems we need more detailed sequencing like shown here:
SuperStar Lights Presents - TSO's Wizards in Winter - 2010 Christmas Light Display - Allen, TX

Pyrotech

New elf
Sorry mate, have to disagree, with your self criticism, though could not hear your music to well. I think the problem with your display is that its NEW concept. those on the boards will understand, but Joe public?

I'm only a newbie, but already see on this board the effort and testing you have put in, you have pushed some of your gear to its limits it seems.

Sorry do not think a 3rd grade look, novel yes. I do think however there is a warmth from incandescents that LEDs lack, a twinkle.

dmoore

Senior elf
Pyrotech said:
Sorry mate, have to disagree, with your self criticism, though could not hear your music to well. I think the problem with your display is that its NEW concept. those on the boards will understand, but Joe public?

I'm only a newbie, but already see on this board the effort and testing you have put in, you have pushed some of your gear to its limits it seems.

Sorry do not think a 3rd grade look, novel yes. I do think however there is a warmth from incandescents that LEDs lack, a twinkle.

Thanks for the reassurance! I'll agree there is a completely different look and fade to incans.

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
dmoore said:
This is an interesting subject. Having converted from a 45k all incan display on 150 channels last year, I've gotten comments that my display isn't as "energetic" as last years and it's less "Christmas" like. Oddly enough they love the snowfall lights and the laser but they are somewhat so-so on the RGB. Part of it is that this years display is clearly not as well sequenced as last years, mainly because it's nearly impossible to sequence that many lights. It's also clear that it's nearly impossible to do even simple things like multi-color chases (fasica/borders), twinkling (LSP) and so on. This simple fading back and forth using videos just isn't quite good enough to stay with the music - my display looks more like a kids 3rd grade production of the wizard of oz than a professional and well choreographed Broadway show - cute but just not professional.

David,

whilst my display only runs around the 15k-20k lights mark (and no i haven't bothered to count them) this is my second year of having RGB as a significant part of the display.

The change to using video this year has changed the feel of the sequencing, it's not as tight or to the beat and therefore looks different and not as precise to me, but many people i have spoken to, have commented on how well the lights go to the music.
After watching for a few nights i'm starting to learn what works and what hasn't.

Simple colour chases are hard to do and we really need to have an object based software platform to enable some of the great RGB abilities.

Maybe because it is my second year but i have been getting lots of very positive comments about the use of colour and how it is refreshingly different.
The true challenge will be not to overdo the use of colour when it becomes more common place.

Cheers
Phil

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
This is very true about RGB and the control, LSP has made things much easier but to do a beat based sequence with thousands of channels is a very time consuming thing to do, Hopefully LSP V2 will learn from these lessons and introduce true object based control but still giving the ability to use the grid. Im still a supporter of the grid for some things but for other things the grid just becomes too hard to sequence and manage

TimW

Full time elf
fasteddy said:
Hopefully LSP V2 will learn from these lessons and introduce true object based control but still giving the ability to use the grid.

And hopefully LSP V2 will be working reliably before 17th December of whatever year it comes out :)..... I'd really like that....