Pixlite config in xLights

spazmanaught

Apprentice elf
Hi Everyone,

I've run into some issues trying to get my Pixlites and xLights matching up (universes and channels). I have 3 x Pixlite MKII 16's (2 x long range and 1 x standard). I've been planning to run them all in expanded mode to give me 96 outputs but they don't seem to want to play together. Basically when I add my pixels into the advatek assistant for each output and test it works fine. It generates its universes and channels automatically (with the auto button). When I use the discover option on xLights it finds the 3 controllers with no issue (I have set them all up with a static IP). When I try to update the xLights settings for each controller it wants the universe count, which is where I'm probably getting lost. I match the advatek count (94 universes @510 per 36 outputs) just to make it easy and xLights generates the list. The issue is that xLights and the controllers universes and channels are way off. The visualiser only shows the 16 outputs and 4 x DMX things as well. I can't seem to see a way to show the expanded mode? The advatek assistant only allows the channel to go to a max of 508 on any of the outputs. I'm not really sure how I can get them to line up. I've added some screen shots of how it looks. I've probably missed a button or something but it has me stumped. Also I had my display designed and set out in an older version (to work out what I needed) but when it updated and changed to this new connection settings it just doesn't seem to want to let them play.

Advatek Assistant IP.jpg
Advatek Assistant Control.jpg
Advatek Assistant Expanded.jpg
Advatek Assistant Outputs 1-16.jpgAdvatek Assistant Outputs 17-32.jpg

tooms

12v4life
I would probably try to simplify, start with 50 pixels on port 1 on the pixlite, configure xlights to do the same, make sure that basic piece of config works.

Do you mean to have 510 pixels per port on the pixlites? .. you should really specify exactly how many pixels you will really use, you can change it later easily.

I added a 96 universe pixlite controller to xlights like below, hope it helps -

Pixlite.JPG

spazmanaught

Apprentice elf
I would probably try to simplify, start with 50 pixels on port 1 on the pixlite, configure xlights to do the same, make sure that basic piece of config works.

Do you mean to have 510 pixels per port on the pixlites? .. you should really specify exactly how many pixels you will really use, you can change it later easily.

I added a 96 universe pixlite controller to xlights like below, hope it helps -

View attachment 14831
Hey tooms,
I'll try what you have mentioned. I'll just ignore setting the details up in the assistant and let xLights control it all? See how that goes.

tooms

12v4life
let xLights control it all? See how that goes.

I haven't used my old pixlite for 4-5 years, so I'm not that sure, but with falcons and xlights we just let xlights configure the controller to suit the layout now, I'm guessing this is supported with the pixlites also

spazmanaught

Apprentice elf
After playing around all day I had a look on the xLights site and there is a issue raised 4 days ago by someone showing the Pixlite 4 having the expanded outputs showing an error in xLights. I'm assuming the Pixlite 16's are having the same problem as they don't even show the expanded outputs at all. Says it should be fixed in the .24 release so hopefully that covers it for mine as well. Otherwise there will be a bonfire of pixels and controllers very soon :p

TANSA

Sparky with Blinky Lights ;-)
Generous elf
I don’t run my 2x 16 PixLite’s in expanded mode an I have never been able to get the full capabilities of universes out of xLights after 2019.64 when I could setup each output, Since then the 4 has never worked as xLights has crippled the outputs.
Now with the controller only it is a lot of spreadsheet work.
The new way is only better for Falcon.
If it changes to much I will have to give it all away.
P.S.
If you want the DMX outputs to work don’t use them through the visualiser, set them up as a known universe number then add a multicast for those universes. The only way I can make it work and it works without a hitch.

spazmanaught

Apprentice elf
I don’t run my 2x 16 PixLite’s in expanded mode an I have never been able to get the full capabilities of universes out of xLights after 2019.64 when I could setup each output, Since then the 4 has never worked as xLights has crippled the outputs.
Now with the controller only it is a lot of spreadsheet work.
The new way is only better for Falcon.
If it changes to much I will have to give it all away.
P.S.
If you want the DMX outputs to work don’t use them through the visualiser, set them up as a known universe number then add a multicast for those universes. The only way I can make it work and it works without a hitch.

Yeah it does look like the Falcon player gets all the love. I might just go back to an older version of xLights that works for the Pixlite.

Thanks for the tip on the DMX :)

darylc

404 darylc not found
After playing around all day I had a look on the xLights site and there is a issue raised 4 days ago by someone showing the Pixlite 4 having the expanded outputs showing an error in xLights. I'm assuming the Pixlite 16's are having the same problem as they don't even show the expanded outputs at all. Says it should be fixed in the .24 release so hopefully that covers it for mine as well. Otherwise there will be a bonfire of pixels and controllers very soon :p

Looking at the code change at https://github.com/smeighan/xLights/commit/246830536b372fdac047d0a094976d8d814e7560

It does look like .24 will probably fix the Pixlite 16 expanded outputs too

TANSA

Generous elf
Looks absolutely great, but the Pixlite have a max of 100 with the DMX ports (96 over 16/32 ports plus 4 sCAN to DMX) with each of 512 channels not 510 which can stuff up the channel count.
I think I will still use them in a multicast with set Universe numbers, as it works and the serial ports in the visualizer don't.
I keep trying and hoping, as xLights is the greatest but greater for the Falcon range.

spazmanaught

Apprentice elf
Well I've been doing this today since 7am and I finally got it working (I think). I reverted back to an older version of xLights and after a chat with one of the Advatek sales guys I managed to map out all 32 outputs on the controller.

I need a beer!

tooms

12v4life

"— bug (keith) Fix Advatek controller config did not allow for expanded mode"

TANSA

Generous elf
Installed .24 not using expanded mode but thank you for the option xLight Team.
This how I get my DMX Decoder (PWM) to run the Dumb RGB light. (Mini Trees)
Yes I do own a Falcon but I just dont like it.
Yes I know they can do funky stuff, but what is the point if I only use ws2811 and design the setup to work with what I have.
K.I.S. works for me.
1592089651531.png
1592090804730.png
I just set the channels used or max of the decoder (30)

Here are a few pic's of my setup Ful IP65+
With a bit of expantion room, will see how it goes with the FNQ summer. (Heat and Rain)
1592090261674.png
1592090315240.png

spazmanaught

Apprentice elf
Thanks @tooms :)

Love the enclosures! I don't have the electrical skills to put something like those together. I've just put my 3 controllers on some chipboard.

Would you mind adding some descriptions to the pics you have posted of what each piece is. I'm interested in the way you have done this. I may try to copy it :) Although the little displays look outside what I can do. I've also held off getting anything DMX yet as I wasn't sure of it. Your set-up will help me get my head around it. Do you think that DMX Decoder you have would control a moving head spot light? I've seen one of those I would like to try but wasn't 100% sure how to hook it up.

And thanks xLights!!! I spent yesterday building stuff and didn't fire it up and haven't seen the upgrade. I might load it up on my VM and check it before I make the change to the working version I have.