Plasma Icicles

Beacy

It's so much better on the dark side
Ahhh thats sneaky, but I do like it such a simple idea that I had overlooked, that has just solved another problem thanks

plasmadrive

Full time elf
Beacy said:
Ahhh thats sneaky, but I do like it such a simple idea that I had overlooked, that has just solved another problem thanks

I admit it.. it was sneaky! 8)

Glad it helped in some way.

plasmadrive

Full time elf
Yesterday we had a nasty wind for hours. They all did just fine and were working when I went to bed and the wind was dying down. They didn't blow around as badly as I suspected they might. I am happy about that.

Bird

LOR user
That looks very nice indeed.
Wouldn't what to know the number of hours put into making it all.
But you should certainly feel it was worth the time. Great job.

plasmadrive

Full time elf
John said:
Hi, very cool idea. looks awsome.

Where did you get the clear tubing from ?

Thanks.

Actually that is the tubing that comes on the 5 meter strips if you order them that way from Ray. I had him cut the tubing an extra .5m per strip so I had some extra to do this with.

Robert

Apprentice elf
What did you use to apply the silicon? I was applying silicone, from the caulk gun, into some strips I was resizing, ugh!! There has got to be an easier way?

plasmadrive

Full time elf
Robert said:
What did you use to apply the silicon? I was applying silicone, from the caulk gun, into some strips I was resizing, ugh!! There has got to be an easier way?

I just used a big caulking gun.. I was just very careful. I just the tip kinda small, but no smaller then I would if I were running a bead for a bathroom seem. My gun does have a release for the pressure that I can hit with my thumb. That is a HUGE help.

Boof63

Senior elf
Am using a small syringe to fill my heat shrink tube joints with silicon. However caulk gun is to big and needles are not easily available, So what I have done is place a small piece if shrink tube over syringe nozzle and insert a single piece of wire/cable into tube and into the syringe's spout. The heat up and shrink onto the nozzle and wire. Once shrunk remove wire and you have small flexible tube to insert and apply silicon into small spaces. Heat shrink does come after short time, so I am going to try super glue to a fresh setup to see if I can keep it on the syringe spout longer. Hope this is of some help. ;) ;)
cheers Boof63

plasmadrive

Full time elf
Boof, that seems like a lot of extra work.

I did 120 of my icicles with just a regular caulking gun.. didn't have any big messes or nasty blow outs or anything. I had some oozzing because I put extra in so the shrink would compress it.. I just wiped that away and that was it.

But... my heatshrink was 1/2". Any smaller and you will have troubles for sure.

plasmadrive

Full time elf

plasmadrive

Full time elf
So far this season the Plasma Icicles have been a big hit!

Traffic is way up and comments have been very positive.

The funny thing is, they love the cheap meteor tubes in the trees as well! The two biggest hits.. the most expensive and the cheapest. Go figure..

Baf05

Full time elf
Looks sensational... I plan on "borrowing" ShellNZ faces this year, and now your plasma Icicles!

Where did you get the connectors from? Ray?

Also, are you using 30 pixels per meter or 60 (I think 60 ;) )