Playing short video on matrix

jagmac

New elf
Hi All, Last year I setup a 4foot by 8 foot matrix with 1008 pixels and just run effects . This year I want to play short videos. When I use the video effect in xlights the image seems grainy and very out of focus to the point you cant make out the images. How can I improve the clarity of the picture. cheers

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
Hi jagmac (always nicer to have a name :) )

a couple quick calculations tell me this is most likely a 2" / 50mm pixel spacing matrix.
With any display for text or graphics the legibility is determined by viewing distance and pixel spacing. at 50mm the minimum distance would start at around 50 metres and get best around 100m.
It's worse though as you don't have enough pixels to even scale down to a grainy video size.

The TLDR version is it really isn't feasible with so few pixels.

Cheers
Phil

jagmac

New elf
Thanks Phil. Matrix viewing area is only about 15m. Might just stick to simple effects.
cheers
Michael

keithsw1111

Senior elf
Start with a low resolution simple video if you want it to look good. If you start with hd video then dozens to hundreds of pixels need to be merged into each pixel which creates the bluriness.

jagmac

New elf
Thanks Keith. Any suggestions on where I may find these type of videos so I can give it a go.

Iain

Full time elf
If you feel so inclined, you could download the free Davinci Resolve (needs a good PC preferably with a dedicated video card and a few hours to understand how it works)... and you can "zoom" an area of a video and make a new video with a low resolution. This might be helpful to take just a small section of the screen out of a larger video.

dkulp

Full time elf
Also make sure you are setting a gamma of about 2.2 for the pixels and likely drop the brightness to about 50%. Do that either through the controller or via the dimming curves. 100% brightness or a default gamma would definitely make the video images look very washed out.